LCD display...is this normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SmOcKxY, Sep 15, 2008.

1. SmOcKxY macrumors newbie

Hey guys...just a quick question..I noticed that the display on the iphone does not fill up the LCD entirely...see the pic below (circled area)

[​IMG]

Just want to ask if this is normal? 3G iphone users..is your display like this?

2. jnolas2 macrumors member

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

all iPhones have this, each to varying amounts
    some have it all on one side, some are even like yours

4. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

5. sibruk macrumors 6502a

I agree with all the other replies - it is normal, and was on 1st Gen as well.

I think it's more apparent on the 3G because there is more of a black bezel up the sides on the 3G (the screen almost went right up to the left and right edges on the 1st Gen) and so it 'feels' like you are losing the screen on the sides.

6. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I completely do not understand this, and I never noticed it until buying my iPhone 3G. At first I didn't know if it was a defect, but then I saw it on the bag for my 3G, and then noticed the gap on the slides of Apple's keynotes.

Again, this baffles me. What could look tackier and more unpolished than a grey, neutral LCD border around an otherwise handsome display (Oh, wait... cracked plastic... glossy displays)? It's bizarre. Why wouldn't Apple simply extend the black border to the actual edges of active screen?!

7. sonex macrumors member

8. J. Dangerously macrumors newbie

Boooooooooo!

What a great, valid complaint. Seriously, you're b!tching about a non-screen border around the LCD screen? Wow. Just wow.

To your point, the reason for the gap? Viewing angle. Because if the black coloring of the outer glass came all the way inward to meet the last pixels of the screen, and if you viewed the iPhone from anything other than a precise dead-on angle, the black of the glass would intrude upon — and cover up — a few rows of pixels.

Then your post would go something like, "OHNOES, WHY IS MY SCRREN CUTOFF AT TEH EGDES WHEN I LOOK @ IT FROM A ANGEL?!?!?!?!//1"

I think there's a few areas you just can't legitimately criticize Apple, and design must be one of them. They think of everything!

"Johnny Dangerously"

9. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Matron!

Attached Files:

10. /b/ macrumors member

That sounds so... dirty...

11. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I'm not sure that this would affect viewing angle substantially, but I am no expert. I'll try not to complain next time in order to avoid 'Rumors rage.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

On danger of going off topic, they apparently didn't think that MacBook Pro owners might want to use USB and Line In at the same time. As luck would have it, I've managed to complain about that twice today :D

13. DamnDJ macrumors regular

DamnDJ

Mine doesn't have that at all.

Edit: Actually, if I hold it to the light directly I can see a very very light strip.

14. gr8phan macrumors member

I know this is an old thread, but I just got my first, a 3GS, and I have this. Fortunately the border is even all around, but I notice that it doesn't happen every time. A reset usually corrects it. Is this the same for everbody else?

15. alexmadison macrumors member

alexmadison

16. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

A reset usually corrects it? What are you talking about?