LCD Display Options for combination of Print/Video work aside ACD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SpaceJello, Mar 10, 2008.

1. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I have read many informative postings about LCD monitors on this forum. From what I have learned S-IPS on the ACD are the best for print reproduction work.

However, I do a bunch of video editing as well (sometimes more than print work) and I have noticed ACD aren't the best in color saturations, clarity and so forth when it comes to video editing. I know really I should have a calibrated monitor but...

I am looking for LCD monitor suggestions that does video editing well alone, and video + print work well.

Thanks!

2. Photomax macrumors regular

If you want good color for most chores then IMHO the ACD's are the way to go.

Not sure if this is still the trend, but most serious video editors would hook up a TV to their editing station to really show how things will look for actual TV viewing (assuming your audience would be viewing said video on TV's.)

I do some video, but do a lot of Photoshop and design work. I tracked down a lot of threads on the ACD vs everything else topic. What I noticed is that a lot of folks would look at the list of specs and conclude that the ACD's are old technology and inferior. Then you read more insightful posts on how to interpret the specs and a different story emerges. I asked around with some of the technically savvy designers in my area: the consensus was that although it would be nice to find a better or cheaper model they still chose the ACD and were pretty confident they made the right choice.

I for one am selling my 20" ACD so I buy a 30" ACD.

Of course your mileage may differ...

3. SpaceJello thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey thanks for your advice. That's what I have thought and heard from other pros too. I have used a TV set up as well too, but really one should get a good calibrated monitor and not just any tv. But then with HD plasma and LCD, I am not sure whether the TV route is still the way to go.

4. Photomax macrumors regular

Well, TV's are changing as well. Video editors normally would have some of video monitor hooked into their editing station. So, Final Cut users would use their computer display (often a ACD) and then have the actual video running on the video monitor (sometimes a regular TV.)

But technology is changing... If you are serious about this I would frankly look to another bulletin board. There are all kinds of great digital video editing boards the cater to the pro & enthusiast video/film crowd.

I myself just goof around with this and use Panasonic video cameras. There is a great Panasonic digital camcorder bulletin board. I am sure there are others for followers of different camera systems as well. Likewise for the Final Cut, Adobe video editing crowd. I bet there is simply tons of reading on this topic.

That being said I still think the ACD is a good choice for any user that is even remotely serious about color work on a computer...

5. SpaceJello thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey thanks Photomax, I will definitely check out the more specific boards and forums. I have found the ACD to be a bit fuzzy cause of the matte surface for detailed video work.