LCD display thoughts: Dell, or something else?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shoeshine, Jul 2, 2010.

1. shoeshine macrumors member

I am needing to buy an external LCD display and am thinking about a Dell UltraSharp U2311H. I've had good experiences with the Dell Ultrasharp line and feel like the IPS panel is pretty important, despite the higher cost than most monitors of similar spec. I do a lot of design and video work, so things looking good on my screen are kind of important.

Before i go ahead and do that though, I thought i would see if there were any other comparable/better displays out there that people could recommend?

2. shoeshine thread starter macrumors member

3. endophilin macrumors newbie

Get the Dell U2410. If you prefer a non-glossy monitor, then you will like this one. It is also less expensive than the glossy 24" Apple Cinema Display.

4. shoeshine thread starter macrumors member

the u2410 is a bit out of my price range, which is why i am looking at the slightly smaller 23" model.....

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I would certainly recommend a Dell IPS. Even their less expensive displays are really nice, so I am sure you would be satisfied.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

I've had a Dell Ultrasharp 1905FP for several years now, and I have yet to see an Apple display that matches it for clarity.

You might also consider the Ultrasharp 2209wa. It has a slightly different aspect that the 23" model, but has slightly larger pixels. This might make a difference if you have "older eyes" (like me), or vision that isn't the best.

As nice as the 24" monitors are, I find the pixel size starting to get at "difficult" for me. I prefer something with less resolution and larger pixels. Yes, you could change the resolution on a 24", but doing so will impact the image quality, as LCD displays look their best at "native resolution".

I've found 27" displays "easier" to look at, but that's because they have the same resolution as 24", with larger pixels!