LCD HD TV/Sound Setup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nzoMD, Mar 27, 2008.

1. nzoMD macrumors member

I hooked up my MBP to my LCD HD TV using a DVI-HDMI converter. I would like to connect audio into my receiver. My options are limitless on which male-ended cable to use, however, I am unsure which cable I need to make this happen (which female-end to use). I know it is possible to do a stereo to those red/yellow/white cables for sound, but I want the best possible sound (atleast 5.1).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Does your receiver have an optical input, or only RCA jacks? If optical, that's what you want as it will provide you with Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 surround. With the RCA cables, you can only get 5-channel Dolby Pro Logic II surround sound.

3. nzoMD thread starter macrumors member

HDMI, Optical, Coaxial, AV, Component are my options.

My question is, which of the two, and which output from my MBP do I use into the receiver and which input for the receiver.

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You need to buy a Toslink cable that has a mini-plug on one end, such as this one. The mini-plug seats in your audio port of your Mac (which is dual-function analog and optical digital) and the other end seats in your receiver's optical port.

5. nzoMD thread starter macrumors member

exactly what i wanted to know... many thanks.