LCD image burn

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mac Questions, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Mac Questions macrumors member

Feb 17, 2010
    2.2GHz 15 inch mid 2007 Macbook Pro.

I seem to have some image burn in the top right corner of my LCD. It looks like a blurry Spotlight icon, the "PM" from my clock, and so on for about 2 inches. It's not that bad, I can only notice it when there is a bright solid colour in the top corner of my screen (when the menu bar isn't visible.) Anybody experienced this before?

My laptop is on a fair bit, but my screen saver is set to go on after 15 minutes. There have been a few times when I have run my laptop overnight without allowing it to go to the screensaver or sleep, and I've simply turned off the backlight until the following morning. Could this have been a cause? I wouldn't have expected it from a modern LCD which is generally treated very well.
  2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Oct 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    With LCD screens it's not referred to as "burn in". Instead it's called "image persistence" and it is temporary. This page has a few tips on prevention and fixing the issue.
  3. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Jun 3, 2009
    Melbourne, AU
    It can be temporary, but it doesn't get better with time.

Image persistence on my iMac got so bad after a year that I demanded a replacement panel. I would leave a safari window open for 20mins and the outline would faintly stay there for hours.