LCD image perstistence

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Tech198, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

This may be of interest to some :- http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2807

I've just recently installed Mavericks, and after applying my own wallpapers (i downloaded them from interfacelift), when shutting down, i sometimes see a "ghost" image of the wallpapers on the grey background just before it shuts down, but after it logs off.

Thus, i can't take a screenshot, buts its annoying..

It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, its only with my own wallpapers, and not the default Maverick's ones.

On the plus side, i have not had this problem on 10.8.x ..

Anyone got any ideas ? Apple told me to visit an Apple Store as a 'possible' screen issue, but if it was hardware, why does it only happen intermittently with the same wallpaper(s) applied ?

Anyone else having this issue since Mavericks install ?

I always thought CRT's were the subject to this, not LCD displays.. I guess i was wrong.

2. xylitol macrumors regular

3. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

ok thanks, the video is my issue on Mavericks. However, re-reading their page i see this:- "This is normal behavior for an IPS display, and the faint image will disappear over time."

In no way its considered 'normal' otherwise all those people complaining over a ghost image on the new Macbook Pro Retina will see it all as 'accepted'

If its normal, then why does it only happen after Mavericks ? Questions I will ask Apple tomorrow when i go down to the Apple Store.

4. LV426 macrumors 6502a

Yes, you were wrong. Apple source rMBP LCDs from both LG and Samsung, IIRC. Previous discussions suggest that the LG panels are more susceptible to image persistence.

5. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

It's not image retention. What OP means is the transition from desktop to grey background on shutdown. In Mavericks it stops in the middle and it looks like image retention but it isn't. It's a little pesky and a detail - probably could be easily fixed by software update. Still, I guess it won't receive high priority, there are other issues to be smoothed first. :)

6. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

Thanks, this makes sense, however, it only my wallpapers, not the default ones that come with Mavericks... and its intermittent problem..

If it was a tradition to grey it would happen regardless of what desktop was showing, and happen all the time.

Still, its not a hardware issue since it didn't happen with 10.8.x, therefore i do believe a software update would fix this.

7. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

It happens to me with default OS X wallpapers. Maybe you didn't notice it before?