LCD is dim after replacing inverter, what to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dcparker, Jul 16, 2009.

1. dcparker macrumors newbie

Hello. I recently took apart my macbook to see if I could get my wifi antenna nudged to work better. It does seem to be fixed, but when I put the laptop back together the inverter cable shorted to the frame, smelled like burning electronics and stopped working. However, I put a new inverter in and it is not fixed. I was careful to note that the second inverter did not create any smell, but the screen did not even light up for a second. The LCD IS still working, as I can see everything on the screen if I shine a light on it. Except for no backlight, the computer works fine. What could possibly be wrong, and what are my options?

2. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

You bought yourself a broken inverter my friend, I would get a refund if i were you. Just look on eBay, I recently replaced mine, and I only paid $18 total. which is heck of a deal, and it's brand new.
    a working inverter should show, the backlight. so yeah either inverter is not working, or you may need to replace your cable (Cables rarely breaks)
    I hope you can get a refund.

3. dcparker thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, it was taken from a working macbook - along with the cable. I was careful to be sure they were both connected well. So I have to disagree, it should be a working inverter I have here. I will try a couple more things to verify what's working and what's not. What else could be burnt out?

4. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

It is quite possible something is burned out on the logic board than on the inverter.

Common electronics troubleshooting sense dictates that if you remove a working inverter from a working machine and put it into a machine where something smoked, if the working part no longer works, it's not the part that's bad. It's the machine it was put into.

I imagine a current limiting resistor on the board is burned out. Your job is now to measure the values of the resistors surrounding the inverter cable plug on the logic board, and compare them to a known working macbook. This is going to be a fun journey - good luck!