LCD Issue - horizontal blue pixel line, occasional screen death -

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Denry, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Denry macrumors newbie

Hello all!

I was wondering whether someone might cast some light on the following:

My MBP 2.6 Ghz 667 (pre santa rosa) a1226 has LCD problems;
    Sometimes when I switch it on, the screen lights up patchy grey with no apple and doesn't click into the correct screen for several minutes.

Sometimes I have to jiggle the screen back and forth to get it to work.

Sometimes a blue pixel line appears to the left running from top to bottom.

Sometimes the screen seems to invert and bleed from top down and bottom up.

Sometimes the top third works and the bottom two thirds are inverted and dead.

Then sometimes, as if to taunt me, the screen is absolutely fine.

Jiggling and movement are the issues that prompt it to fix itself. Before posting here I did some searches and came upon the graphics card issue. Apple duly issued me a repair number for this specific issue, but when I took it to an authorised apple dealer here in Ireland they ran tests, and informed me that it wasn't the graphics card, and proceeded to quote me an outrageous price to get an brand new top half of the machine.

My question therefore is whether anyone can confirm based upon the above that it is an LCD issue and not indeed as I hoped, the graphics card. I'd rather not bite the bullet if I don't have to.

Regards,

Denry.

2. nobbs macrumors newbie

Well, your mbp has the geforce 8600m gt, right?
    if so, then imho it's 99,9% that it is the graphic chip because the whole g84/g86 line was faulty...

more about that: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1028703/nvidia-g84-g86-bad

(i have a samsung r70 with a geforce g8600m gs and had similar problems. since some weeks it only works with an external screen :/)

3. Denry thread starter macrumors newbie

chipset 8600

Right enough that's the chip.

But when I took it into the repair shop to get it fixed up they informed me that they ran tests and that the chip passed. (Even though as I stated above, apple had given me a a free repair were it the chip)

regards,

Denry