LCD Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChadSkeeters, Mar 28, 2012.

1. ChadSkeeters macrumors newbie

I've got a Unibody Macbook (non-pro actually) with a 13" screen. About a year and a half ago, I stepped on it and the glass cracked. I send the laptop off and got it fixed. It worked for a while but sometimes the glass would fall out because it was not glued back in too well. About 6 months ago, the LCD started being off color on about a 1.5" vertical strip in the middle of the monitor. Over time it's gotten worse. After taking out the LCD and re-connecting it, it worked for a while and then got to the point where it's always black. Watch this short video to see the exact state that it's in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFNYvckFqiY

I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to what I should do given that to me it looks like there is an issue with the cable and not the LCD. These are the options I'm currently considering:

1) Just use this as a backup connected to a monitor.
    2) Buy a replacement LCD monitor and hope that the monitor is actually the issue
    3) Send it into powerbookmedic.com and let them diagnose and fix the issue

Any advise is appreciated.

Chad

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

3. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I had a macbook pro 17" from 2006 that had the same problem, but it was on the side and would make the bottom half of the screen messed up. Ultimately I had to put a new LCD in it.

4. ChadSkeeters thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses.

It's a non-pro unibody actually. It's the bastard before they made unibody for Macbook Pro only. It has no firewire port or SD card. I think it's this one because it says A1278 on the bottom and came with a 250GB hard drive.

MB467LL/A

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-2.4-aluminum-13-late-2008-unibody-specs.html

I posted in the pro forum because it's hardware is so similar to the Macbook pros, I thought I'd get better responses.

5. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

You have the aluminum macbook, as what my gf has too. It has a removable battery too, which I like.

I noticed you have to kind of "work" with the screen to get it perfect. I wonder if there is a connection that could be fixed on it, since you can move it around to get it working.

6. ChadSkeeters thread starter macrumors newbie

Me too!

That's what I'm wondering. It's so hard to play with because there is no slack in the cable to pull it all out and play with it. I wouldn't even know where to get a replacement cable, or if a longer cable could be ordered.

7. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Try posting on iFixit, usually there are helpful people who may have had a similar problem and could lead you to the right direction. When you stepped on your laptop, did you just get the glass replaced and not the LCD itself?

8. ChadSkeeters thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the LCD was functioning fine at the time. Only later did it start to have issues. I'll try posting this on iFixit. Thanks for the suggestion.