LCD issues? Or am I a lone wolf?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by X5-452, Feb 21, 2009.

1. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

My iPhone 3G is acting funny, and not in the Jerry Seinfeld kind of way.

Every time I run my finger near the bottom left of the screen the liquid in the crystal display moves around creating those rainbow colour effects that you get when you press really hard on a display (esp. calculators, for those who don't understand what I'm trying to explain). I'm not pressing hard with the intention of creating them - I'm merely tapping and touching. It's really obvious when the screen is a solid colour and it's starting to annoy me. It's only happening in that area and I just noticed it the other day.

Is this a somewhat common issue with a certain number of iPhone 3Gs, or am I the only one at this party? I can't decide if I should bother taking it to the Apple store or if they'll just tell me that it's fine. I'm worried that it's a sign my screen is weakening in that area, and that it's going to break or crack at some point.

Suggestions/comments/concerns/impersonations?

2. jeremykyle macrumors regular

That's definitely not good. If it shows no signs of wear, damage, or abuse they MIGHT replace it. I wouldn't get my hopes up though, because they may say you just dropped it. Nothing wrong with taking it in and asking though.

3. X5-452 thread starter macrumors 6502

X5-452

It has the normal signs of wear and tear from everyday use - but nothing dramatic. I may call instead as I find it easier to waste time on the phone than driving the 10 minutes to the mall, have to fight for parking, and wait in line. Hmmmm.

4. jeremykyle macrumors regular

I got mine exchanged Friday and it was a little beat up too from the everyday use. But they asked no questions, it is all just a matter of the Rep you get in some cases.

5. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

You are probably going to have to bring it in anyway. That problem is one that likely needs to be seen, not described over the phone. That said, this definitely is not normal and they will likely replace it.

6. Cask Guest

On mine it happens something similar but less obvious, on the buttom left corner also, I press with a little pressure on it and the same thing you described happens on the screen, but doesn't happens in other corners. With normal touchscreen use it is OK. I would go an exchange it, but in my country the carrier won't exchange it unless something is not working.

7. X5-452 thread starter macrumors 6502

X5-452

Well...

I swung by the Apple store today. The genius took my phone, touched it, and then gave me a new one. Apparently the screen was starting to separate from the enclosure, resulting in dust under the screen and the "bubbles" that would appear when pressure was applied. He even showed me where the glass was tearing away from the body (I couldn't see anything....) All-in-all, he was very helpful.

Side note - They mentioned that if the screen ever broke or cracked, I was entitled to 1 free replacement?! Has anyone else ever been told that? Or is the Calgary Apple store doing something they shouldn't be... :confused:

8. monstr88 macrumors newbie

i cracked my LCD while trying to replace the glass panel, so tempted to try for this now.

9. X5-452 thread starter macrumors 6502

X5-452

See, I've never heard of that ever happening. In fact, looking around these boards, every time someone makes a post about breaking their iPhone screen the OP is met with replies like "sucks to be you" and "it's not Apple's fault you broke it." This leads me to think you're not "entitled to 1 free replacement" as I was told. Hmmm, I hope Cupertino doesn't shut down my Apple store.