LCD issues turning the computer off

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jezcrook, Nov 28, 2012.

1. jezcrook macrumors newbie

replaced my imac 27 lcd screen which works fine. I can see the screen fine till i put the screws back on the side to put the lcd in the case and the computer turns off and will not start again, I then take the back out and pull the plug out the back then then re put the plug back in and take the screws out and it work fine till i tighten the screws back up again???

any help would be great

2. juliazo macrumors newbie

Which 27-inch model do you have? Sounds like something is being shorted... You're using the same 8 T10 screws that came out of it, correct? (here's where you can get replacements, if not).

I know one's not supposed to overtighten the LCD screws, since that could cause light leakage from the backlight, but I've never seen those screws shorting out other components. What I would try is to gently tighten one screw at a time until you find the offending one... (reading that sentence out loud sounds a lot dirtier than it did in my mind) :D

When you're done, and assuming it's only one screw that's causing the issue (likely outcome), you can simply leave it out completely. Guaranteed that the screen will not fall off with 7 screws holding it in place...

3. jezcrook thread starter macrumors newbie

still have the issue

Hi juliazo thanks for your suggestion but it did not work. you don't need screws at all if i push the screen back with my hands on the top of the screen it will also cut the power. It does not happen if you push the bottom of the screen???

4. jezcrook thread starter macrumors newbie

All fixed now. I had to push the Screen as high as i could in the case before tighting the screws. :)