LCD life?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I don't know what Apple says about their LCDs, but most LCD manufactures rate their product anywhere from 20,000 - 80,000 hours. Some are more and some cheep ones are less.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
grapes911 said:
I don't know what Apple says about their LCDs, but most LCD manufactures rate their product anywhere from 20,000 - 80,000 hours. Some are more and some cheep ones are less.
Seems to be true. We have ~40 Dell LCDs at work that were purchased ~4-5 years ago and all are working fine (and they are left on pretty much 24/7).

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
dmw007 said:
Seems to be true. We have ~40 Dell LCDs at work that were purchased ~4-5 years ago and all are working fine (and they are left on pretty much 24/7).
I think that's an important part too... The bulbs wear a lot when they are power cycled, don't they? FWIW, that is the main failure mode -- the backlight dying.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
mkrishnan said:
I think that's an important part too... The bulbs wear a lot when they are power cycled, don't they? FWIW, that is the main failure mode -- the backlight dying.
In general, constantly turning something on and off is gonna wear away at that products lifespan.

Mood

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2005
NY
electrical current changes the atomic structure of the wires and resistors into a different state, and if you keep on turning it on and off it gets warped in a sense.

leaving it on means it'll maintain its electrical atomic structure instead of constantly changing it.

(does this make sense or just pure bull?)

theonenonlyjoey

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2004
San Jose, CA
my 22 inch cinema display's (DVI not ADC) backlight went bad and the whole panel was replaced 3 years ago while it was under warranty. probably a faulty unit though. can't say for sure what the real life of it would be.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Mood said:
electrical current changes the atomic structure of the wires and resistors into a different state, and if you keep on turning it on and off it gets warped in a sense.

leaving it on means it'll maintain its electrical atomic structure instead of constantly changing it.

(does this make sense or just pure bull?)
Sounds ok to me. Then again, I am by no means an electrician. :rolleyes:

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
mkrishnan said:
Yeah, true, in hindsight, it is moronically obvious. :eek: But it's particularly true of certain kinds of bulbs.... :)
Things in hindsight tend to always be 20/20. Or usually 20/20.

Guess I had best not turn my PowerMac G5 on too many times...