Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

graln1k

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2006
I'm looking to purchase a 20" - 22" widescreen LCD monitor, and the cinema displays seem to be a bit too pricey for me. This is going to be used for FCS 2 as the primary monitor (my 17" MBP will be the secondary) I'm comfortable around 350 dollars. Component inputs would be nice as well.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
The Dell 24" is a bit more pricer than the round of 22" screens on the market but you do get a much large res (1920 * 1200 - bigger than 1080P!) and component for your money.

graln1k

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2006
The Dell 24" is a bit more pricer than the round of 22" screens on the market but you do get a much large res (1920 * 1200 - bigger than 1080P!) and component for your money.

Do you know of a way to get a student discount on that monitor?

skimaxpower

Jan 13, 2006
Dell has agreements with many schools to offer students discounts. Call Dell and ask if your school qualifies, or contact your school's IT department. You'll probably get about 10% off the retail price.

Davowade

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2006
Melbourne
Samsung 206BW screens are nice, and they are 2ms panels so they are VERY fast.
We bought a bunch for the film that is happening at our production house.

graln1k

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2006
Samsung 206BW screens are nice, and they are 2ms panels so they are VERY fast.
We bought a bunch for the film that is happening at our production house.

I hear that only the S make of those monitors is good. Is there a way to know which one I'm getting before I open the box?

Clappernicus

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
Samsung SyncMaster 226BW

After doing some extensive research and taking my laptop around to several stores to test out monitors, I finally settled on the Samsung SyncMaster 226BW. It got spectacular reviews as well.

There is the whole worry about the A, C, or S models, but the one I received was none of the above. Manufactured after all that (one reason I purchased from Best Buy was to avoid getting stuck with something that's been in stock for a year or so). Regardless of what model you get, there is a nice little ColorSync profile that someone has made that you can use to adjust your monitor.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1168121

I highly recommend this monitor. High refresh rate, great colors, sharp. Best VALUE out there. You essentially get a mid range monitor at low end prices.

emt8q5

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2007
don't go with Samsung 226 BW

I recently went through the same decision you are currently going through and I have some advice...stay away from the 226BW! The S and A models look great, the C model is attrocious (and I hear there is another model out now as well...disgusting practice of Samsungs) After purchasing and returning (to the dismay of my local Best Buy staff) two 226BWs, I decided to go with the Samsung 226 CW, which I have been extremely happy with. The 226 CW is about $30 to $50 more than the BW, but because of it's "wide color gamut" is guaranteed to be produced in Samsung's factories (eliminating the problem of crappy panels from no name 3rd party manufacturers). You should definitely check out the 226 CW before you make your purchase.

Eric

graln1k

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2006
Thanks for all of your responses. I'm between the 2407WFP and the Samsung. The 2407 is 620 shipped on dell.com. Good price?

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Are Dell monitors better than NEC or Samsung?

That really depends on the model. Dell's Ultrasharp line typically (but not ALWAYS, so check the specs first) uses higher-quality PVA and IPS panels, which are more color-accurate than the TN panels found in cheaper displays. Panel quality may be important to you if you intend on doing basic color correction work in your projects. Long story short, Dell doesn't make panels (and neither does Apple for that matter). They only build around them.

NEC has historically made excellent displays. The MultiSync 90 series is quite good, but it's a pro line and is priced accordingly. But the 2490 ($1,099) is handily one of the best 24" IPS-based displays money can buy.

Samsung is a mixed bag. They have a ton of cheaper TN-based panels that are typically stocked at local stores, but they also make more robust PVA-based models suited to higher-end users, for a price.

But anyway, IMHO, the two best quality 24" displays on a budget that you can currently buy are the Dell 2408WFP (PVA panel) and the HP LP2475w (IPS panel). They're both great-looking displays and have lots of features. Both can be had for under $600.

mcpryon2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
Have you checked out the Dell u2410 yet? It's a pretty sweet 24" IPS panel that is relatively unknown. It's going for $599 right now, though there have been coupons, and knowing Dell they could show up again. If you're looking to get a 24" Dell, definitely look into it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.