LCD panel defective or...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mstrcrd, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Mstrcrd macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've recently (say the last couple of months) noticed my screen would do weird things (see added picture). I used to be able to get it away by just flexing the screen a bit, but now it seems to be quite difficult to get it to go away. I am under the impression that when the laptop warms up it is easier to get it to go away than when the machine is very cold (10° C after a night of no usage).
    Is this the LCD panel itself or is it something motherboard related?

Either way I'm bummed out because the motherboard has already been replaced and it wasn't cheap.
    My iSight camera also stopped working after about 2 years or so (a little before the motherboard was defective) and since this can only be fixed by replacing the whole lid, it is 500 euro (610 USD) to fix that. considering the motherboard repair was 500 euro as well, I wasn't very keen to replace the top lid as well since I would have to pay around 1000 euro (1220 USD) for these two repairs, that's nearly as much a I have paid for this machine, yikes.

Considering I have had to replace the motherboard of my previous machine (a 2007 17" macbook pro), I am losing confidence in the quality of the apple brand when it comes to laptops.

Attached Files:

2. posguy99 macrumors 6502

Right. An almost 8 year old laptop has a hardware problem, and it's an indictment of the entire brand.

3. Mstrcrd thread starter macrumors newbie

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, both on my previous laptop (the 2007 MacBook pro, which was a 3200 USD machine) as well as my current laptop (the mid 2011 13" MacBook air) have needed a replacement motherboard. Perhaps you shouldn't react in such a harsh way, it's a much nicer experience then. Also thank you for not adding to this topic.

4. hermagerd macrumors newbie

I would open it and just check the screen cable, and make sure its secure in the socket. Maybe check for other things like corrosion in that area or if the cable seems damaged. I'ts located in the top corner and you wont need to remove anything other than the bottom case to reach it. Could be something else of course but it takes just a minute to try.

Also try to run it on an external screen to figure out if its a problem with the graphic card. I don't think so since it was related to flexing the screen, but trying is free.

5. Mstrcrd thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the tip, only need to find a pentalobe screwdriver.

6. hermagerd macrumors newbie

I'ts a great investment ;)

Just be a bit careful with the socket. I read that there should be a lock function on the MBA socket you need to flip upwards before disconnecting the cable. If you just try to rip it off you could damage it. I have not fiddled with it on a MBA before, just the Pro and the Pro is usually a bit more straight forward..

Good luck!

7. Mstrcrd thread starter macrumors newbie

So I"ve bought a pentalobe screwdriver and opened up the bottom. Nothing special to be seen, vga cable sits snugly inside the socket and no corrosion is to be found, board looks like new since it was just this year. guess I'll have to order a whole new lid (yaaaay, ahem) for it.