LCD problem with CGI images on Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by qfwfq, Jul 12, 2008.

1. qfwfq macrumors newbie

Hi,

Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT, 512 MB VRAM (Penryn).

I rendered a CGI image with a 3D program that looks fine when viewed on an external monitor. It even looks great on the LCD screen of my old Powerbook. The problem is that when I view it on my Macbook's LCD screen, it looks like crap. All the luminance glows are jagged an pixelated, and even the glares on the surfaces completely lose their softness.

Could someone with a Macbook Pro take a look at the attached image and tell me if the glow is smooth or all screwed up?

Many thanks.

Q

Attached Files:

2. Twenty5 macrumors regular

yea.... jaggy here as well

btw are you sure that this isnt a problem with the rendering?

3. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Glow is a bit jagged. Smooth gradients in the middle though.

4. qfwfq thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for taking a look. The render is not a problem. The image looks perfect when viewed on my crappy second monitor AND on the LCD screen of my old G4 Powerbook.

Yes, the gradients are perfect. The problem arises when there is luminance/higher gamma (?).

Give it a shot and view it on a monitor, it will look fine.

Q

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sure when I get out my decide to finally reinstall my trust Dell 2001WFP S-IPS, I'll check.. :rolleyes:

6. Zel macrumors regular

Don't use JPEG if you want us to see it clearly.

Isn't the MBP screen only 6-bit color? I remember a ruckus last year about professional photographers getting upset with the 'cheap' screens.

7. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Hmm... I get bit jagged around the glow on my MBP. But I also get it on my ACD 23" which is hooked up in dual monitor mode.

8. qfwfq thread starter macrumors newbie

With respect to the JPEG image format, it really doesn't matter because it looks exactly just as bad as the original format which was a Quicktime movie with animation codec. Again, the movie looks fine when not viewed on my MBP lcd screen. Below is another example. The glare seen from my MBP LCD screen looks like a big blue blotch. On my Lacie photon 19 it's a smooth glare. Same with my old G4 powerbook. I'll look into the 6 bit color thing...

What's important here is that these defects do not result from any unusual or extreme visual effects. One is a mere glare and the other is just a bit of luminance. No big deal at all. There should be no problem whatsoever, especially from a computer that claims to be the ideal tool for multimedia and graphic designers. The MBP simply seems to be ill-suited CGI work.

Update: I looked into the 6 bit color depth, and that could be the problem. Unfortunately there is no way to find out the screen's bit depth...

Attached Files:

9. magallanes macrumors regular