LCD purchase 20-24 inch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Vader, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I am in need of an IPS monitor as I am tired of the display on my macbook. I plan on using the monitor with the laptop for a year until I graduate (and hopefully get a job) when I will build a hackintosh to use with it. I would like a 1920x (1200 or 1080) resolution, as that is what I have been using at my summer job and really can't see myself working on something smaller. Anyway, my search for low cost high quality displays has come up fairly short.

The dell offering I have found: (21.5" IPS at 1920x1080 8ms response for $269)
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-9271

Nothing else I have found compares to this in terms of price/response time/brightness in the IPS panel category.

I am pleased to order this monitor, but before pulling the trigger, I though I would see if anyone here has found a better deal or better display at a similar price.

I should mention that I plan on watching movies and playing games (after a year when I build the computer) on it, so response time is of some importance.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions you can give.

2. Vader thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

The cinemaview display uses a TN panel which is the one thing I want to avoid. Also I should have mentioned that my MacBook is 3 years old, so mini display port is unnecessary.

3. Vader thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

I found this HP display (can buy on amazon for $275)

It has a display port input in addition to DVI and VGA. The only downside is that it isn't as bright as the dell. This HP has 210 cd/m2 while the Dell one in my first post has 250 cd/m2.

I am not sure if this is a huge difference or not. I believe the macbook I have has 250 cd/m2 brightness, and that is plenty bright for my indoor use.

4. Vader thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

As a follow up, in case anyone uses search and comes across this thread, I went with the HP in the previous post. I considered this NEC monitor, but I got the HP for $250 - $50 mail-in rebate.

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

I second the HP monitors. I don't have an IPS version, but they picture, text, and color is very sharp.

6. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

7. efegea macrumors newbie

Second post I've submitted since I registered. Both posts to give the same recommendation :D

Take a look on the NEC MultiSync EA231WMi, 23", fullhd, displayport (plus DVI and VGA) E-IPS panel, and cheap. Great quality. I'm using mine on a hackintosh too.

EDIT: doh, I must read all the post of the thread before posting.. :D