LCD ready to replace CRT for colour?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lurcher, Dec 20, 2007.

1. lurcher macrumors regular

lurcher

Hi folks

I am a graphic/web designer and have been using a Lacie CRT with hood for 5 years now. I get really tired eyes after a days work and heard that a LCD screen will help as it doesn't flicker all the time?

Question is, has the colour quality reached a point where my work won't suffer if I get one? Will it make a difference to my eyes?

I would probably get another Lacie but if you think the Apple monitors are good enough - or any other suggestions - I would be grateful for your input.

Cheers, and Merry Christmas!

2. HotdogGiambi macrumors newbie

Re: LCD ready to replace CRT for colour?

I do graphics work as well and had a LaCie for years. But I did eventually get an 23 inch Apple Cinema Display. Its not that great for color however. And my ACD just died a few days ago. If you're looking for a great LCD monitor that can be calibrated to be color accurate, I'd look at the Ezios monitors: http://www.eizo.com/ These are used for medical imaging and are without a doubt the best on the market.

LaCie also makes some good LCD monitors. If the Ezios are too expensive then I'd also look at the Samsungs and the Dell. They are far less than the Apple displays and have a better contrast ratio. There is some speculation that Apple may introduce a new line of LCD monitors at MacWorld in January if you think you want to wait and see if Apple produces a decent new model too.

Good luck. Let us know what you wind up with.

3. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

The Apple 23" is a great monitor, i use it for video color correction.
    You should try one, the EIZOS are great but to expensive.
    Dell and Samsung cant compare to an Apple Display or a EIZO, dont even try...
    The apple cinema display can use color sync with your mac thats very nice.
    Maybe get one of the blue eye (or similar) to calibrate the monitor.
    The viewing angle of the Apple display is incredible with very low color shifting.

4. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Mark my words: *anything* that has S-IPS panel can be color calibrated to exceed CRT color accuracy. Whether that display is Apple or Dell, it does not matter, if it has S-IPS panel it *can* be properly calibrated and it *will* have to be calibrated whether it is an Apple or a Dell.

5. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Are the 24" iMac displays S-IPS panels?

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

A bit of googling revealed the display is an LG.Philips LM240WU2-SLB1 which is an S-IPS panel

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

But remember that the Apple Cinema Displays are SWOP-certified but Dell isn't.

Just because they use the same panel does not make them the same.

8. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I've been using Apple LCD's for critical colour work for some years now - frankly you couldn't pay me to use a CRT. I'd say the time to jump is long overdue =]

9. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

I'd say yes, though you should probably calibrate it first. Also, if you're looking for the best color in an LCD, I'd recommend getting a glossy screen instead of matte.

10. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Trust me, this is a road you do not wish to walk down upon...

Glossy for color critical work? I can hear the entire professional sector just laughing and I will be omitting what they think while doing so ;)

11. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

What's so bad about glossy? CRTs don't come in matte. It's not like you're taking a step backwards in getting a glossy LCD. I've noticed that the blacks are much darker on glossy screens. Also, you don't get the little "sparkles" on a glossy that you would otherwise get on a matte screen.

12. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

Glossy is great for what it is.

However, if you are serious about soft proofing your designs/ illustrations/prints/photography or ANYTHING you need to be printed out on paper that require close if not 100% accurate color representation you would choose a matte screen.

Only cause glossy over saturate the beautiful blacks you find much darker on the glossy. In reality, many printing options can't reproduce what you seen on screen.

I have a matte screen. If i didn't require near accurate color, i would have gone the glossy. Movies just look better on them.

13. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

You're right. But can you trust even a SWOP-certified display? Who certifies *your* working space? Display shows different color in different lighting conditions, so whehter the display itself is certified or not, it still needs to be calibrated. And if two displays have the same panel, they calibrate equally (assuming the display itself doesn't do any harm to the signal).

Yes, I do support and recommend Apple displays, but I also do know that it is the panel itself that matters, not the brand on the enclosure.

14. jtblueberry macrumors regular

Lacie or Eizo

I was using the lacie crt just like you. I recently upgraded to lacie 319 lcd. I like it much better than the lacie crt. Color is comparable but my eyes don't suffer from the flicker of the crt.
    My apple monitor doesn't cut it on color. I use the apple display in an extended desktop with my lacie to hold my tools while I color correct on the lacie.
    You could go with a Lacie 321 for more space, but, I am hoping to get another 319. I think 2 lacie 319's are better value than one 321.

Eizo's are supposed to be the best but too expensive for me.

Check out www.shootsmarter.com for an article and ratings on monitors.

15. jtblueberry macrumors regular

no glossy for me

I agree that glossy is worse for my purposes. I'm a photographer and I do all my processing and printing in house. Glossy may be better for movies but not for soft proofing photography and judging color accuracy.
    As a matter of fact, I am as happy to get rid of the glare on my crt and I am to get rid of the flicker. I work in an office with very little glare problems and I still always felt like I was looking at the image through glass...now, with my lcd, I'm just looking at the image.