LCD Replaced now Fans work harder

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by likegadgets, Apr 22, 2010.

1. likegadgets macrumors 6502

I have a late 2008 MBP 15" Unibody. The LCD developed some noticeable dust under the glass and an authorized Apple service center replaced the LCD (the part replaced was the complete aluminum cover including the LCD).

It works just fine - but noticed that the FANs run at the higher RPMs more often and noticeable longer than before.

I am wondering if some kind of sensors was not placed properly at the replacement or what else can be going on.

Any thoughts?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. likegadgets thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah yes, I forgot to mention I did reset the SMC. I did follow the instructions of shutting down, removing the battery and magSafe, held power for 5 secs , reconnected and restarted.

Thanks for pointing this out.

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

5. likegadgets thread starter macrumors 6502

All looks clear. It looks like I will need to take it back
    Thanks

6. Pax macrumors 6502a

My experience is that if any sensors are defective or giving incorrect readings the Mac goes into fail-safe mode and the fans run at full speed all the time.

So I doubt that that is the problem.

You could run Hardware Test, that will highlight any failed sensors.

7. likegadgets thread starter macrumors 6502

8. Pax macrumors 6502a

Thinking about this some more... an LCD replacement on the Unibodies is major surgery. You basically rip the all the guts out to get to the hinge.... logic board, drive, battery, fan, heatsink. Everything. Check out the iFixit guides to see what Apple did.

So the problem need not be directly related to the LCD. Possibly Apple put something back wrong - something internal might be blocking the fan, or the heat flow from the CPU to the fans.

When it's been working flat out (2x100% CPU load) for say 10 minutes, what are the CPU, heatsink, enclosure temperatures & fan speeds?

9. likegadgets thread starter macrumors 6502

I disassembled the back cover - and the vents looked clear, but I noticed excessive dust. I used clean compressed air to clean and so far the machine now appears to be working normally. Everything looked in place. I will monitor for the next few days and see if it acts up again.

Thanks for the suggestion

10. Pax macrumors 6502a