LCD REPLACEMENT: Need Help! Macbook Under Surgery

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pawn3d, Apr 9, 2008.

1. pawn3d macrumors regular

ive got my macbook on the bench, i've been following this tutorial, but im stuck on step 2... i can't get the hinge off! please herp!

2. chscag macrumors 65816

3. pawn3d thread starter macrumors regular

4. chscag macrumors 65816

More than one way to fry an egg?

I can't answer why, but I do know there are many folks who post in Mac forums who recommend that website and their "do it yourself" instructions. Why not try following their instructions and see if that helps you work around that hinge that can't be removed?

Regards.

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I tried those instructions too - could not get the hinge cover off - it is a slow process doing it the ifixit way but the hinge covers are normally stuck tight and will not come off easily.

If the hinge cover came off it would be a nice easy job.....but it doesn't and it isn't.....

Good luck

6. eman macrumors 6502a

Definitely use the ifixit.com instructions. I have not been able the get the clutch (hinge) cover off without removing the macbook toplid.

7. Alistair1990 macrumors member

Alistair1990

I followed the first method a few weeks ago on my MacBook and yes the hinge is very difficult to get off - I spent ages prying it with a screwdriver :eek: It did come off eventually and after that the replacement of the screen was very easy (took about 10 minutes). However, the hinge is also very difficult to put back on and mine still sits a little off at the back.

Not to hijack the thread but since the replacement my MacBook no longer sleeps when closed or wakes up when opened. Anyone know why?

Alistair

8. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

I would think that there's some kind of micro-switch and what ever makes contact with it when closing the lid, isn't happening. Probably some kind of adjustment is not aligned right. Just a thought! ;)

9. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I think you will find that the magnet that operates the (reed) switch on the battery connector is either not there or has slipped somewhere. If you pull the screen bezel off it should be just above the 3 rd screw from the bottom on the left hand side of the screen frame. Mine dropped the first time I swapped a screen over - and yes it didn't sleep when the lid closed. The magnet is about 4mm square section and about 22mm long with a notch at each end - could be stuck to the back of the frame.

Wierd thing is my name is Alistair too !!!

10. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Good info to know for all of us. Thanks. I figured it was some kind of switch. Funny you have the same name as the posters. Wild! Have a good one and to the OP can ya let us know here if that was your problem?

11. Alistair1990 macrumors member

Alistair1990

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I seem to remember the magnet fell off and I've now mis-placed it. May be able to find a replacement from a DIY store or something. If not I don't mind too much as I don't plan on selling the machine on.
    Wow, another Alistair...seems to be quite a rare name lol
    Anyway, sorry to the OP I've had my say.

Alistair

12. jwdawso macrumors regular

jwdawso

Happened to me too!

I just replaced my LCD, and had an extra magnet with no place to go. Thanks to your input, it's back in place. :)

13. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Happy to help !!

Sometimes the magnet stays in place and other times it turns up, just when it is too late......

14. pawn3d thread starter macrumors regular

I am now THE MASTER of getting hinge covers off: I can do it under 30 seconds.

That tutorial left out a MAJOR STEP and that step is running a blackstick/spudger down the seam on the back of the hinge.

After you've opened that seal, using your black stick, pry the hinge cover up vertically STRAIT UP- not toward or away from the LCD. The hardest part is getting the stick between the hinge cover and the case.