LCD Resolution (VGA vs DVI?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 61132, Aug 6, 2008.

1. 61132 Guest

Well, I decided to hook up my MBP to my Samsung LCD TV via the PC (VGA) input. The resolution is 1360 * 768. Is there any way to get a better resolution, possibly using a DVI to HDMI cable? I would have figured since this is an HDTV that I could achieve a better resolution than that. I mean, my 15" built in screen has a resolution of 1440 * 900.

Thanks!

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

It's not so much the resolution, but the color that's probably hurting your picture. VGA uses a three color system (RGB) to display colors where DVI uses more complex colors. I don't know the specifics on that, but the answer is yes and maybe. A Digital connection will improve your picture quality, but may not change the resolution depending on how large the lcd is.

3. 61132 thread starter Guest

It's a 26 inch Samsung TV. I looked at the manual and it says that the above is the PC resolution. But would the HDMI input offer more resolution?

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Thats the resolution of your TV. There's nothing you can do about that.

5. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

You'll get a better quality picture with digital. trust me.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If it's a 26" LCD HDTV, it's going to be 720p and not 1080p. The native resolution is most commonly 1366x768 or something fairly similar on 720p TVs (Some of them are 1280x720). So, you're already at native, and there's nothing you can do except buy a higher resolution device to get more resolution. Saying the screen should have higher resolution than your Macbook because it's bigger than your MB's screen is like saying a semi truck should go faster than a motorcycle because it has a bigger engine.

7. 61132 thread starter Guest

Ok, thanks guys! I like your analogy :)

It's still great having such a large monitor, much easier on the eyes while sitting at my desk.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Digital will give better quality pictures but won't give you what you don't have. If you set the resolution on the TV to a higher resolution than it's specified, your TV might either break or show the video really zoomed in.