LCD screen issue with wierd color changes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by freddyfingers, Sep 5, 2010.

1. freddyfingers macrumors member

Hello guys/gals was wondering if anyone has a idea as to what this could be. I just replaced the screen bezel on this computer since it was cracked on both sides. Which is probably what caused this problem however I'm not 100% sure. Whilst replacing the bezel I also installed a dual-drive which takes place of the optical drive and allows for a 2nd hd to be used. My guess is that it may be a power drain issue. The 2nd HD could be running using up more power? However I'm not sure it makes sense somewhat as the optical drive is not running the entire time the system one if you pop a dvd or cd in while a HD is.

Anyhow here are some screen captures of what is happening. The problem seems to kick in periodically I've been using the computer all day today and so far it has only happened once usually bringing up the dashboard or minimizing the window to the dock then bringing it back up fixes the problem. Also its not localized to a certain spot the entire screen gets like that. The both times it has happened yesterday and today the computer was running pretty hot both fans were on at 5500+rpm so seems as though heat may also have something to do with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

First of all, what are the specs of the computer?

I can assure you the extra HD isn't draining the power. I'd also say its safe to say the cracked bezels had nothing to do with it either. It looks like a GPU error or VRAM error (or possible driver error). Unfortunately, the only cure for that is entire logicboard replacement. More details on the specs and age of the computer would help.

3. freddyfingers thread starter macrumors member

Not sure on the age I purchased it in 2006 if I remember right. So its 3-4yrs old by now specs are in my signature "2.0GHz core 2 duo" ATI Radeon X1600 memory is 2x 1gb

This just started happening after I replaced the bezel which involved removing the lcd but I was very careful with everything. One of the fans also burned out so I replaced both of those as well. Another theory is the computer could have been damaged due to prolonged heat it would get really hot then just shut off. MBP's especially the older models run really hot anyhow so never though much of it until I installed istat and noticed one of the fans was not running at all.

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

5. johnalan macrumors regular

Yeah I agree, it's defo a graphics card/drivers issue,

If fixing the screen bezel had caused the issue, the issue would not localize itself to widgets and icons it would be static.

6. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

looks like overheating or the graphics chip is toast. Maybe an re-flow on the logic board will get that fixed. I've fixed my dad's broken 7900gs by re-flowing it:D

7. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

This. You probably burned out your GPU... your logicboard needs to be replaced most likely.

8. freddyfingers thread starter macrumors member

Maybe =]

Once the time comes I will try to reflow it and see what happens. Right now its not a huge issue I've been using the comp all day and the issue has yet to present itself. However it does pop up here and there randomly so it may stay like that for year or get worse only time will tell.

Replacing the logic board would makes sense but would end up costing me more than the computer is worth so not economically worth the trouble unless I can find a cheap donor to take parts from. This is the longest I've owned a computer and still had it working so I guess that say something for apples. As time goes on it starts to become this contest of sorts to see how long this thing will last before all hope is lost.

9. freddyfingers thread starter macrumors member

here is a better shot of it in full effect:(
    it does get worse on occasion but then the computer freezes up so I cannot get a screen grab.

[​IMG]

10. macbook037 macrumors newbie

11. freddyfingers thread starter macrumors member

After some extensive research I've found some very insightful information on some obscure website which I can no longer find back. Anyhow apparently when replacing a screen like in my case or disconnecting the screen from the logic board your supposed to reset the pram by holding down the :apple: key + option along with the P+R keys upon start up.

I had my doubts and actually made a reservation to meet with repair tech at my local apple store prior to doing the reset. Just to see if somehow I could get a free logic board due to the Nvidia cards being faulty. However its been running perfectly every since I reset it I've even tried to overload the system watching video with quicktime and vlc open along with opening 25mb files in photoshop and could not get it to scramble the screen :)

Here are the actual instruction from apple for doing the reset just incase it might help someone else out there with the same issue.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

I'm sure this still needs some testing as its only been a few days but so far so good. The temp seems to stay around 1/2way while before it would run very hot even with the fans maxing out @ 6k rpm now they remain about 3-4k and temp wise the system doesn't over heat. Another issue I read about was re applying the thermal paste which may also be worth looking into to keep things running even cooler as I'm sure it has degraded in the past 4yrs. AS it stands though the reset seems to have done the trick for me :) The question is now what to do with the broken comp I puchased off ebay with a cracked screen and good logic board haha perhaps find a cheap screen and have 3 MBP's

12. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Good God! You think maybe I'll have to do that when I replace
    my LCD panel? The iFixit instructions never mentioned that. :eek:

13. freddyfingers thread starter macrumors member

Maybe its not really hard though only did it once upon startup and problem solved. All you need to do is hold down all 4 keys hit the power button then wait for the chime. After that you keep holding them down and it reboots the system thats all =] My screen was completely scrambled before something like this http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/images/5/59/Nvidia1.jpg

While before I replaced the bezel it was completely normal so its possible a reset is needed. But due to the fact that a fan had burned out I though maybe I ruined the graphics card. Which seemed likely even though the machine never did this prior to removing the screen. Anyway glad that its fixed :) Just finished watching a entire DVD in a small window while browsing the internet and working in PS and hasn't bugged out yet.