LCD TV as a monitor Question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fedup flyer, Sep 6, 2008.

1. fedup flyer macrumors regular

Hello all,
    I am going to spending the next 6-12 months in small one bedroom apt in the UAE and I am thinking about purchasing a 22' LCD TV to use a monitor/TV in order to save some space in the bedroom. I plan on purchasing one that has VGA input and use a 15 pin cable to get the best resoultion and it will be a descent quality TV such as Samsung or LG. Has anyone used a LCD TV for such a purpose and have you had any ill effects?

2. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Yes I have done this with my nans Samsung LCD TV and it worked well but such a relatively small (compared to screen size) resolution will really begin to make your eyes feel a bit sore after prolonged usage.

I also experienced some anomalies whenever running something in fullscreen... the top and bottom row of pixels would remain resolutely blue (like technical, no signal #0000FF blue) until fullscreen was exited.

However if you're using it from a few feet back you probably won't feel too many ill effects from the screen resolution.

I would actually advise buying a standard LCD computer monitor and buying a TV tuner device such as the ElGato EyeTV. You get a higher resolution screen for less, the TV tuner is about £70 ($120) one off, and you get the added bonus of being able to save TV to your hard drive.

I also play my xBox through my computer screen through my TV tuner, in case you were wondering about taking a console with you.

3. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

If you don't mind the TV being not quite as sharp as it can, you can get a 22" TV with 1650x1080 resolution. So that's much more usable for computer use. TV will be at non-native resolution, but it really doesn't look bad on mine (I've got a 22" TV that I'm using for a monitor)