Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n0t0ri0usj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Hello everyone!

i recently purchased a macbook pro and loving it. I am in the market for a 30-32 inch lcd monitor OR tv to use as an external display. It will be a bedroom type of setup (reason for the larger size). I have been doing tons of research on displays and am up to my ears in models/information and such.

I was wondering if anyone could give some advice as to what to look for in such a monitor/tv. Here is what I know I need:

1920 resolution
low response speed
hdmi or dvi connection.

Thats about it. If you have a setup that works well please do not hestitate to just put the model down of the monitor or tv that you have as well or just general advice. Thanks!

eddx

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
OK, I never recommend what you are trying to do.

1920 wide on a 32inch monitor - you probably won't find that, more likely to be 1280 max. Either way it will look bad. Try setting you current display down to 1024x640 and let me know how you feel. Because thats what it will seem like when having so few pixels stretched up to such a large display.

Why not spend the money on a 24" Dell LCD and buy a EyeTV tuner? You will get a much better all around experience

NJPitcher

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2006
Why would he only be able to find 1280 on a 32" monitor? Most 24" monitors are 1920 wide nowadays...unless you meant TV? The 30" ACD is 2560 wide...that's double 1280...

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Try setting you current display down to 1024x640 and let me know how you feel. Because thats what it will seem like when having so few pixels stretched up to such a large display.

Thats not true. Because now your display is no longer running at its native resolution. The TV on the other hand WOULD be running at its native resolution so it would look alot better. All it would mean is the windows etc would be alot larger while on the TV. It may also be slightly pixelated. But i think he will be using it for media more then anything it sounds like so it would look pretty good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.