LCD vs. CRT, Environmentally...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ajchapinjr.com, Apr 27, 2008.

1. ajchapinjr.com macrumors member

Hey guys...

Working on a research paper. Looking for help finding information on the environmental impact of disposal of CRT televisions/monitors, production of LCD televisions/monitors, etc.

Anyone got anything good for me?

Much appreciated.

2. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Not specifically monitors, but Greenpeace's 'Guide to Greener Electronics' always interests me:

Now at version 7 and includes video game manufacturers, there are detailed reports for each company too; note that non-LED backlit monitors contain mercury for example.

The Greenpeace Guide

Also, aren't we due Steve Jobs' new Green report around this time? :)

Old one from May last year here:

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/agreenerapple/

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I have trouble with Greenpeace, after the way they handle things. The goal is great, but they twist the facts, and make politics out of it. THey gave Nintendo a zero, attacked them for being terrible, but thats because Nintendo didn't give them any info. That truth was enough, the fact Nintendo has hiding their info, but greenpeace made it seem like Nintendo bored lead in rivers. Also the way the handle Apple was poor.

But to the OP, I believe LCD are better, but I don't have tons of info for you.

4. Solesk macrumors member

i dont have any facts. but to point you in the right direction i read an article recently that suggested plasma's and lcd's take up more energy than crt's to operate.

and that electric photo frame you use costs you $9 a year to operate!

5. shayne erin macrumors newbie

Wait, I don't think that's true. I thought CRT's can use up to 250% MORE power than LCD's...
    Plus, CRT's emit way more electromagnetic radiation. Most of it is harmless because it gets filtered, but it still emits more than LCD's. Many people argue that radiation is radiation is radiation, no matter how seemingly harmless.

Well, that's my little tidbit. Toodles!