Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I'm going to look at a dual 2.5 tomorrow.

In all honesty the LCS G5s scare me and I've mostly stayed away from them, but this one is at a decent price and already has some upgrades(i.e. 8gb ram).

This one supposedly is running and claims to have a recent clean install of 10.5, so that's at least a good sign that everything is working for now.

I know to look for corrosion or other signs of leaking under the processors, but am wondering if there's anything else I should keep an eye out for.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
I'm going to look at a dual 2.5 tomorrow.

In all honesty the LCS G5s scare me and I've mostly stayed away from them, but this one is at a decent price and already has some upgrades(i.e. 8gb ram).

This one supposedly is running and claims to have a recent clean install of 10.5, so that's at least a good sign that everything is working for now.

I know to look for corrosion or other signs of leaking under the processors, but am wondering if there's anything else I should keep an eye out for.

For sure when you get it it'll have to be torn apart and rebuilt. I have a LCS that isn't perfect in my 2.7 but I still need to find the proper O-rings and find the proper hose for the thing. If you do end up taking it home I would install iStat and check the temps. My 2.7 likes to hang around 170*f

But hey, if all goes bad you can swap in a 2.0 or 2.3 with air cooled heatsinks!

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
Avoid June 2004 Dual 2.5.

For dual cpu / dual core look for:

June 2004 Dual 2.0
April 2005 Dual 2.3
Octobar 2005 Dual Core 2.0 / 2.3

If you are ready every day to watch for temps and leaks, go for it.

Best LCSs are on Late 2005 G5 Quad.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Avoid June 2004 Dual 2.5.

For dual cpu / dual core look for:

June 2004 Dual 2.0
April 2005 Dual 2.3
Octobar 2005 Dual Core 2.0 / 2.3

If you are ready every day to watch for temps and leaks, go for it.

Best LCSs are on Late 2005 G5 Quad.

I agree that the Quads had the best LCS. A rebuilt LCS with decent quality parts will likely last many years and never leak or burn coolant.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Well, apparently it either sold or the guy decided not to sell it since he didn't respond to my request to meet up and possibly buy it.

Oh well, I really want a quad anyway and would probably be better off waiting until the right one comes along.

JohnnyH1012

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2014
New Jersey, USA
My 2.5 Ghz Dual G5 from June of 2004, despite many people claiming that it has one of the most unstable liquid cooling systems, hasn't failed on me yet, and I haven't even taken off the CPU cover to check. My temps are okay and there is no leakage, so I am fine, but quite frankly I am afraid of tearing the thing apart to check. :eek:

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
My 2.5 Ghz Dual G5 from June of 2004, despite many people claiming that it has one of the most unstable liquid cooling systems, hasn't failed on me yet, and I haven't even taken off the CPU cover to check. My temps are okay and there is no leakage, so I am fine, but quite frankly I am afraid of tearing the thing apart to check. :eek:

It is quite possible that you have Panasonic LCS model.

Do not be afraid, the biggest problem is removing a gray plastic rivet that holds metal G5 cover.

hetsink1.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.