LCS G5s

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Aug 24, 2014.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'm going to look at a dual 2.5 tomorrow.

In all honesty the LCS G5s scare me and I've mostly stayed away from them, but this one is at a decent price and already has some upgrades(i.e. 8gb ram).

This one supposedly is running and claims to have a recent clean install of 10.5, so that's at least a good sign that everything is working for now.

I know to look for corrosion or other signs of leaking under the processors, but am wondering if there's anything else I should keep an eye out for.

2. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

For sure when you get it it'll have to be torn apart and rebuilt. I have a LCS that isn't perfect in my 2.7 but I still need to find the proper O-rings and find the proper hose for the thing. If you do end up taking it home I would install iStat and check the temps. My 2.7 likes to hang around 170*f

But hey, if all goes bad you can swap in a 2.0 or 2.3 with air cooled heatsinks!

3. bax2003 macrumors 6502a

bax2003

Avoid June 2004 Dual 2.5.

For dual cpu / dual core look for:

June 2004 Dual 2.0
    April 2005 Dual 2.3
    Octobar 2005 Dual Core 2.0 / 2.3

If you are ready every day to watch for temps and leaks, go for it.

Best LCSs are on Late 2005 G5 Quad.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I agree that the Quads had the best LCS. A rebuilt LCS with decent quality parts will likely last many years and never leak or burn coolant.

5. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Well, apparently it either sold or the guy decided not to sell it since he didn't respond to my request to meet up and possibly buy it.

Oh well, I really want a quad anyway and would probably be better off waiting until the right one comes along.

6. JohnnyH1012 macrumors member

My 2.5 Ghz Dual G5 from June of 2004, despite many people claiming that it has one of the most unstable liquid cooling systems, hasn't failed on me yet, and I haven't even taken off the CPU cover to check. My temps are okay and there is no leakage, so I am fine, but quite frankly I am afraid of tearing the thing apart to check. :eek:

7. bax2003 macrumors 6502a

bax2003

It is quite possible that you have Panasonic LCS model.

Do not be afraid, the biggest problem is removing a gray plastic rivet that holds metal G5 cover.

[​IMG]

8. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I've never heard of a Panasonic leaking, and like IamMacPerson you may luck out and it'll be one!

9. JohnnyH1012 macrumors member

I'll have to check later. I would sure be glad if I ended up having a Panasonic instead of a more troublesome LCS.