"ld: duplicate symbol" Error in Terminal HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by ScKaSx, Feb 3, 2010.

1. ScKaSx macrumors regular

Hi All,

I have very simple code. Consists of a main.cc and func.cc. The files compile fine, but when I link them (g++ main.cc func.cc -o prog) I get the following error:

ld: duplicate symbol _R in main.o and func.o
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [main] Error 1

Both files depend on and include a header file (#include "header.h"). The files are self explanatory, in my main.cc I have the main function that calls several subroutines from func.cc. When I appened the functions from func.cc at the end of main.cc and just run (g++ main.cc -o prog) it compiles, links and runs fine! Can anyone allude to what is going on here?

Cheers, ScKaSx

2. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

3. ScKaSx thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick reply. Nope, I have #define, but no #ifndef's. Here is an outline of my header file:

1 #include <math.h>
    2 #include <stdio.h>
    3 #include <stdlib.h>
    4 #include <iostream>
    5 #include <complex>
    13 #define PRINT printf
    14 #define Cmplx complex<double>
    15 #define _i Cmplx(0.,1.)
    16 #define PI 3.14
    18 using namespace std;
    25 int const=1;
    26 double c2=2.;
    30 Func(arg, arg, arg);

4. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

At the top of your file add:
    Code:
    #ifndef header_h
    #define header_h
    #endif
    Where ... is everything you have now.

This prevents the compiler from including a header's text more than once during compilation. If you haven't run into this before, you must be new to the rodeo, so welcome.

-Lee

P.S. Man, your PI is light on significant figures. I hope your not doing anything that needs much precision.

5. ScKaSx thread starter macrumors regular

Hi lee,

Btw thanks for all the help. However, the ifndef's don't seem to solve the problem. I am still getting the same error. Just to be sure I only need the ifndef's around the header.h code correct?

Cheers

P.S. you noticed the PI :), yeah I am never that precise with things

6. chown33 macrumors 604

My guess is that you have a defining use of R in one of your header files. Possibly something like:
    Code:
    extern int R = 5;

(I'm guessing at the type; it could actually be anything.)

You should change it so there is exactly one defining use (i.e. with the initializer), and all other uses are declaring uses (without initializer):
    Code:
    extern int R;

Another possibility is a duplicate function.

Whatever it is, it appears to be named R. So start by looking for that.

7. bdavis78 macrumors newbie

I'm having a very similar error. I've got a file- structures.h that needs to be included in main.c and in structures.c for compilation, but I get a similar linking error

ld: duplicate symbol _amino_acid_tlc in /Users/davis/Documents/covarion simulation/covarions/build/covarions.build/Debug/covarions.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/structures.o and /Users/davis/Documents/covarion simulation/covarions/build/covarions.build/Debug/covarions.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/main.o

I have

#ifndef structures_h
    #define structures_h
    #endif

inside structures.h file, so I don't understand why the compiler is including the structures.h file twice. amino_acid_tla is only defined once time in structures.h.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

Thanks

8. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

Move the declaration of '_amino_acid_tlc' into ONE of the two source files and then place an 'extern ' in front of the definition in "structures.h".

9. racine75 macrumors newbie

Or else...

A common mistake that raises the "ld: duplicate symbol" error is to compile the same code twice into different object (.o) files that are then linked together. An example:
    gcc -c -o foo.o foo.c
    gcc -c -o bar.o foo.c
    gcc -o foobar foo.o bar.o
    You might want to check your makefile for this kind of occurence...

10. Brody38h, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

Brody38h macrumors newbie

I had this same problem. This works for me if I move the 'duplicate symbol' to one of the source files, but why? I have the #ifdef logic in there, so shouldn't the header file be copied to only one of the source files at most?

Edit: Read more about it, and now understand that it only protects within same compilation unit. Which I understand. However, why can I declare and define a const int and not have the same problem?

Thanks

11. Fastgalix macrumors newbie

Same problem, different code (not mine and long)

Hi all,

I have the same problem for a long code (difficult for me since I am not C++ fluent) the error is:
    Code:
    ld: duplicate symbol LA::NRVec<double>::operator*(LA::SparseMat<double> const&) const  in .libs/sparsemat.o and .libs/vec.o

sparsemat and vec mutually include each other of course :p

Since the code is several thousands of lines I did
    Code:
    grep 'operator\*' vec.* sparsemat.*

and here is the output
    Code:
    vec.h:  inline NRVec& operator*=(const NRVec &rhs);
    vec.h:  inline NRVec& operator*=(const T &a);
    vec.h:  inline const NRVec operator*(const T &a) const;
    vec.h:  inline const T operator*(const NRVec &rhs) const;
    vec.h:  const NRVec operator*(const NRMat<T> &mat) const {
    vec.h:  const NRVec operator*(const NRSMat<T> &mat) const {
    vec.h:  const NRVec operator*(const SparseMat<T> &mat) const {
    vec.h:inline NRVec<T>& NRVec<T>::operator*=(const NRVec<T>& rhs) {
    vec.h:inline NRVec<T> & NRVec<T>::operator*=(const T &a) {
    vec.h:inline const T NRVec<T>::operator*(const NRVec<T> &rhs) const {
    vec.h:inline NRVec<double>& NRVec<double>::operator*=(const double &a) {
    vec.h:inline NRVec<complex<double> >& NRVec<complex<double> >::operator*=(const complex<double> &a) {
    vec.h:inline const double NRVec<double>::operator*(const NRVec<double> &rhs) const {
    vec.h:inline const complex<double> NRVec<complex<double> >::operator*(const NRVec< complex<double> > &rhs) const {
    Binary file vec.o matches
    sparsemat.cc:unsigned int SparseMat<T>::sort(int type) const //must be const since used from operator*
                       //which must be const to be compatible with
                       //other stuff, dirty casts here
    sparsemat.cc:SparseMat<T> & SparseMat<T>::operator*=(const T &a) 
    sparsemat.cc:if(!count) laerror("operator*= on undefined lhs");
    sparsemat.cc:const SparseMat<T> SparseMat<T>::operator*(const SparseMat<T> &rhs) const
    sparsemat.cc:template SparseMat<T> & SparseMat<T>::operator*=(const T &a); \
    sparsemat.cc:template const NRVec<T> NRVec<T>::operator*(const SparseMat<T> &mat) const; \
    sparsemat.cc:template const SparseMat<T> SparseMat<T>::operator*(const SparseMat<T> &rhs) const; \
    sparsemat.h:                matel<T> & operator*() const {return *p;}
    sparsemat.h:        SparseMat & operator*=(const T &a);         //multiply by a scalar
    sparsemat.h:        inline const SparseMat operator*(const T &rhs) const {return SparseMat(*this) *= rhs;}
    sparsemat.h:  inline const NRVec<T> operator*(const NRVec<T> &rhs) const; // SparseMat * Vec 
    sparsemat.h:  inline const NRMat<T> operator*(const NRMat<T> &rhs) const; // SparseMat * Mat 
    sparsemat.h:  const SparseMat operator*(const SparseMat &rhs) const; 
    sparsemat.h:inline const NRVec<T> SparseMat<T>::operator*(const NRVec<T> &rhs) const
    sparsemat.h:inline const NRMat<T> SparseMat<T>::operator*(const NRMat<T> &rhs) const
    Binary file sparsemat.o matches

Can you help me on what I should remove/comment or even if I am really not looking at the correct part of the code ?

Thanks a lot