LDAP in 3.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brownbw, Jun 19, 2009.

1. brownbw macrumors newbie

Has anyone got LDAP to work in 3.0? I work on a university campus, and would love to get contacts from our active directory. Do I need to be connected to the WiFi there - or will it work anywhere?

2. pintnight macrumors 6502

IMO, Apple didn't provide enough LDAP configuration option since every LDAP server can be configured very differently from on LDAP server to another.

I know, because I wrote a LDAP client application and just had to add another option due to a customer way of setting up the LDAP server. It's not wrong how they did it, it just the way they configured it.

So, the LDAP contact isn't going to work unless the admin change the LDAP server configuration to how Apple expect the LDAP is configured.

3. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

If you are syncing with Exchange, assuming you've got Exchange, then you can search your Global Address List from the device anyway.

You could also do it in 2.2.1

I know it's not LDAP lookup, but maybe a work around to your problem

4. jstigall macrumors newbie

What else could you need? I was able to setup the server and search domain very easily.

5. jstigall macrumors newbie

It depends if your university allows access to LDAP outside of their network. The additional contacts shows up in the contacts app as a new group, it's very slick and very fast.

6. pintnight macrumors 6502

A LDAP server configuration can be different in every shape or form. Just because you were able to setup a LDAP client with very minimal information that work may not work for a company that setup a different way of how their LDAP server is configured. A majority of our customers use our LDAP client without having to change the "advanced" settings but there are others where we have to sometime help our customers to figure out how their LDAP server is configured and modify the "advanced" settings to be able to get the LDAP client to work properly.

The last issue that I had to fix was how a customer configured their OpenLDAP server, the LDAP client couldn't use the Base DN that it figured out because it doesn't actually exist on the server. So, I had to make the client prompt the user for the actual Base DN.

The other LDAP configuration can be:

User Filter (which user object you want to filter from the server)
    Group Filter (which group object you want to filter from the server)
    Search Attributes (which attributes you want to search on the server)
    LDAP Attributes (what are the LDAP attributes that the administrator used to create the LDAP objects for First Name, Last Name, Display Name, E-mail address, street, city, state, etc, etc, etc)

Here's a example of how one of the LDAP server could be configured.

Code:
    UserFilter: objectClass=person
    GroupFilter: objectClass=distroList
    SearchAttribute: display-name;mail;givenName;cn;sn
    BaseDN:

LDAP Attributes:
    	FirstName: givenName
    	LastName: sn
    	DisplayName: cn
    	EmailAddress: mail
    	Street: streetaddress
    	PostOfficeBox: postOfficeBox
    	City: l
    	State: st
    	PostalCode: postalCode
    	Department: department
    	HomePhone: homePhone
    	CellPhone: mobile
    	OfficePhone: workPhone
    	PagerNumber: pager
    	FaxNumber: facsimiletelephonenumber
    	TelexNumber: telexNumber
    	Title: title
    	OfficeName: physcialDeliveryOfficeName
    	Description: description
    	Server: mailHost
    	Alias: mailAlias
    	DistinguishedName: dn

7. BigOrangeSU macrumors regular

I setup the LDAP server for my University just fine. Its strange because there seemed to be more options then I knew what was going on. Its also strange because once you setup the LDAP server you then have to setup a search and thats where you put in like base commands or something like that.
    Finally I had to delete a search profile called Netscape and just used the custom one I built. Everything is working fine and its great. If it was only real time and I didn't have to click search that would be awesome.

8. jjprusk macrumors member

Yes, I have LDAP working with a Communigate mail server. It worked straight away once I input the proper CN's.

9. christian2006 macrumors newbie

LDAPeople

I've been having the same issue with the Apple LDAP contacts. I've tried every variation of the setting on the iPhone I can think of and still does not work. I manage to get the LDAP to show up on the iPhone but when a search is done it fails.

Yet I can use the paid for app, LDAPeople and it works fine with out 10.5 server.

I am really keep to get it working as should not really have to buy an app for the iPhone for all our user to access the directory.