Leaf skin (backing)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by cravenz, Nov 25, 2011.

1. cravenz, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011

cravenz macrumors newbie

I've done a search and I don't think I've seen one of these done! If there is, please merge, and I apologise, but here is my review on the leaf skin. I have the maze, but I think these guys do some really nice stuff and their pictures do the product more justice than my own.

Leaf skin for the back (maze) (http://iamleaf.com/maze.html; 34.95 AUD, note: it was 29.95 AUD when I got it)

This is an Australian company and I must first start out by saying that their customer service, in my opinion is top notch. I won’t elaborate why, but they were both prompt with their responses and were willing to engage in discussions over their product which I found both helpful and receptive. That is a big thumbs up from me. The product itself isn’t exactly very cheap, but it is aesthetically pleasing. I will not be dissecting this part of the review into parts like what I did for the e13ctron case.

I have to admit that at first, I was wondering why there was no adhesive around the camera area for the skin to fit, but I haven’t had any issues with the backing coming off. There has been one reported case of this happening which worried me, but a month in, and I still don’t see any evidence of this happening with mine nor has there been any reported issues from what I’ve read with other users on the iPhone 4.

The skin itself is not thick, it isn’t heavy either, and it fits neatly to the back of the iPhone. On top of that, I like the feel of it on the back because it feels a little grippy when I have my hand wrapped around the phone. It just feels good and right. The cut and finish of the product is fantastic without any sharp edges protruding out as well. And because it is thin enough, there is still some space between the table and the leaf skin because of the e13ctron bumper case I have on, which is perfect for me.

All in all, this is a wonderful case, coming from a “local” company, that I cannot say enough good things about. It may not be for everyone because if you get a case with a built in backing, then the leaf skin will not work at all for you. There are other choices in the market, including Lucky Labs, the people whom I got the Spectra Wrap from who do backings, but I love the designs from leaf, and again, it may not suit everyone, but I’m very happy with the product from them.

Perhaps the only drawback with a metal backing, as was with the e13ctron case is that scratches may become more obvious when it does occur, but one month in and all is well so far! On the plus side as well, their packaging was nice, simple and stylish.

Picture of the leaf skin still in the packaging:
    [​IMG]

Picture of the leaf skin on the back of the mobile:
    [​IMG]

Note: I’ll try and get a better shot when possible and will update.

My overall rating: 5/5

Recommended? Yes, definitely.

With that in mind, I've done a full review of the leaf skin along with the e13ctron case, SGP oleophobic screen protector and Lucky Labs Spectra Wrap here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/581967/rev...ctor-and-lucky-labs-spectra-wrap#post_7916616 or http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1820063.

2. THE dAY macrumors 6502

This looks nice but I'm a little wary that it might degrade the signal a little. I live in a bad reception area so even the slightest slgnal loss is not an option for me.
    I've read that even the TruSkin real carbon back by luckylabs has a 5-10 dB drop.

Have you tested the signal with/without the backing?

You should remove the semicolon from the end of the link you posted :)

Nice pics btw, its really a great design for the iPhone back.

3. cravenz thread starter macrumors newbie

Whoops! Thanks mate re: link. :D

Unfortunately, I did the test after installing the leaf skin and e13ctron case. However, in terms of bars, from memory, just before I got the skin, I'm quite sure I didn't lose any signal bars. I didn't run a field test, so I can't confirm that. Also, the skin is a backing made of anodized aluminium, only for the back, so, in theory, it doesn't block the iPhone's antenna. The issues have come with cases with metal that runs the side of the iPhone. This shouldn't, in theory, be an issue. And I didn't notice it in regards to the bars either. However, that wouldn't explain why the Lucky Labs backing has an issue :(