OS X League FPS issues on rMBP, is there a fix?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by lJoSquaredl, Feb 13, 2015.

1. lJoSquaredl macrumors regular

I feel like my rMBP with 650m should be able to handle League of Legends on all the lowest settings. I even have it in clamshell mode and don't hear the fans run at all so it can't be taxing my system all that much. I seem to be getting FPS drops a lot even during casual laning phase tho. Could be bad optimization of the game I guess, but if not then shouldn't the 650m be able to keep a consistent 60 FPS even during team fights? Should I try wiping the hard drive? Install some kind of driver? Should I look at upgrading to a newer rMBP or maybe an iMac? I'd really hate to buy a PC and Windows just to play League but I do play a lot so I guess I have to look at it as an option. Does anyone have these problems with League on their rMBPs? I feel like the integrated graphics even run it better sometimes sadly.

2. TheBunny macrumors member

For starers double check that the 650m is actually running.

Run LoL then exit to windowed mode and bring up the About this Mac in the finder. It should say that the 650m is the one running.

You have to open the window after you run the game.

With the first gen MPRr there was some firmware issues
    were the high speed GPU would noy engage.

I think this has been fixed since then, but I would double check.

I beliebe SCM or PRAM(?) reset is what was needed to fix it if it was happening.

Other then that... What Resolution are you playing at etc?

650m should be good at non retina resolutions.
    So like apple default res 1440xXXX
    This GPUs are not meant to power games at retina resolutions at all.

3. lJoSquaredl, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015

lJoSquaredl thread starter macrumors regular

The 650m is definitely running, and it's at 1080p very low settings, no antialiasing, 60fps capped vertical sync off.

I'll reset the pram just cuz I haven't done it in a while so it could use it anyways. Idk even tho it's 1080p I feel like it can handle it on very low settings since it did ok a year or two ago. Maybe I've just worn my computer out since it first released? Do you see that much of a drop in performance over 2 years on a laptop?

Edit: Just reset the PRAM, is it supposed to keep reseting until you let go? It did it like 4 times until I let go. If I remember correctly, last time it just reset once and then the screen came up and I let go.

4. TheBunny macrumors member

PRAM / SCM etc.

Normally if the macs working correctly you should never have to reset it.

And no a mac should not get slower after 2 years.

Tho a new OS and new software might feel slower as they tend to do more things.

Anyhow what actual FPS are you seeing during battles?
    Maybe just not limiting the FPS to 60?

Have you brought up activity monitor to see if yo have anything installed that stealing CPU time?

Example for ESO we had users that had horrible FPS on 10.10
    But looking at some of the machines it turned out hey had mouse drivers and other thing that needed updating for the new OS.
    Some of which eat CPU or cause other issues or constantly spit errors out into logs... This was mostly from MMO players that uses 3rd party Gaming mice and or keyboards.

Just some things to look at...

5. lJoSquaredl thread starter macrumors regular

I actually just tried to play in windowed mode, 720p at very low settings and it still felt like I was getting 30fps even just walking around in ARAMs not fighting. I feel like this is either a game client issue or my video card has something wrong with it. I have Applecare for 3 years but never used it and heard they try to dodge vid card issues. Might ask on the Riot mac client forums and see if anyone else is playing on a rMBP with the 650m to see if they have issues.