League of Legends on rMBP 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iLive, Jul 22, 2013.

1. iLive macrumors regular

I am in the situation where I can get a Retina MacBook Pro 13" with 27% of the price. It's used, but the guy says he has "hysterically" maintained it since he bought it in May, so it is kind of new. And, I am so excited. :cool:

The machine will fulfill all my requirements for daily tasks as well as for my studies but I sometimes like to play League of Legends now and then with my friends and I need to know how well it can handle that. I've searched anywhere on these forums, and on Google, but couldn't find anything specific towards my game.

I am well aware that OS X is not for gaming, and that this machine only supports an Intel HD 4000, but I am not expecting full setings 60+ fps in highest screen resolution, I just need to now how well it handles it. I have a friend who played LoL on his 2012 Air 11" and it looked incredibly well so how well will it look on rMPB 13"?

PS: I know I could wait for the Haswell upgrade but seriously, I will never be able to afford that as a new machine if it continues the same price, and I would prefer a laptop before semester starts in September.

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Im no expert on it, but if it plays on the 2012 air, I think it would play just as well on the 13" rMBP.

3. Serban Suspended

if you want to buy the current 13" MBP with HD4000..on MACOS you get 60fps but not at 900p resolution. If you wait for the HD5100 you will can play at 900p or 1050p everything max at 60fps

4. iLive, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013

iLive thread starter macrumors regular

But that was an 11 inch, and this is an 13 inch, so I thought it might be different.

What if I turn off shadows, how well will it then be at 900p (I assume thats 1440x900?)? And as tempting as the new machine might be, it's just too expensive for a student who already takes a minor loan to be able to buy the machine.

5. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Assuming you put on a smaller resolution, then it would be the same. If you wanted to max out the resolution and settings, then you may have a problem :p

6. iLive thread starter macrumors regular

True, but I would really appreciate a detailed answer. Like, When running X resolution, you get Y frames per second, and the machine might get a little hot, but that's okay, because it's SUPER AWESOME. :D

7. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Here is LoL on a 2011 13" MBP. The only concern Id have with yours is that the RAM is going to be 8GB instead of 16GB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq3UauwQkqQ

But again, running it at a lower resolution, such as that of a regular 13" MBP definitely should run. As for what resolution gets how many fps, you need to find someone with a 13" rMBP to test it and see.

8. iLive thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, wish someone here could help. But thanks mate. :)

9. eddles13 macrumors newbie

The Ivy Bridge i7 processors were able to run starcraft 2 at medium settings at ~30 FPS. Granted you are running a less graphically intensive game and your i5 will not be as fast, it will still run the game fine around 30+ fps.

-Eddie

----------

And by the way, those were running the HD3000