Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Riot Games has revealed that League of Legends: Wild Rift will launch on iOS in 2020. Riot says this is a new version of the original wildly popular MOBA title, which launched on PC 10 years ago, and it's built from scratch to take advantage of the mobile platform.

league-of-legends-wild-rift.jpg

Rumors that League of Legends would be making its way to smartphones first appeared in May, but the official confirmation arrived on Tuesday during a series of Riot announcements posted to YouTube to celebrate the game's 10th anniversary.

Wild Rift will feature the same five-on-five gameplay that made its PC counterpart a success, but individual matches are shorter at around 15 to 20 minutes long. There's also a twin-stick control scheme that Riot says will allow for quicker responses and faster battles.

Otherwise, players can expect the familiar LoL elements, like 5v5 maps and lots of playable characters from the existing roster of champions.

League of Legends is still one of the most popular PC games in the world, but sources suggest that revenue dipped last year, down 21 percent from 2017.

Given the drop off, a brief survey of the MOBA mobile landscape is enough to realize that the game's arrival on iPhone and Android was the logical next step. Titles like Fortnite and PUBG have shown that if a game's mechanics can be translated successfully to touchscreen devices, then expanding to mobile can prove hugely successful.

Riot plans to launch the mobile version "everywhere in the world by the end of 2020," followed by the game's debut on console. Alpha and beta versions of the game will be released in the next few months, rolling out in China first.

Article Link: 'League of Legends: Wild Rift' Coming to iOS Next Year

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Reminder: Riot is owned by the Chinese state-funded company Tencent
Beat me to it. Tencent broadcasts the NBA in China so they were involved in Morey’s Hong Kong tweet issue. They’ve also censored “Hong Kong” from LoL’s chat system, among other things. There is documentation alluding to Tencent being directly funded by the Chinese government. They should be regarded with the utmost caution by freedom-loving people.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Beat me to it. Tencent broadcasts the NBA in China so they were involved in Morey’s Hong Kong tweet issue. They’ve also censored “Hong Kong” from LoL’s chat system, among other things. There is documentation alluding to Tencent being directly funded by the Chinese government. They should be regarded with the utmost caution by freedom-loving people.

They also part own PubG and Fortnite so you better stop playing either of those if you do.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I would’ve been interested but as another user reminded us also, I’m done giving money and power to Chinese companies and by extension the CCP.

Written on a computer/device made in China, in a seat probably made in a China on a forum who's servers will be made in China. Ah well.

Reactions: fredrik9

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
They also part own PubG and Fortnite so you better stop playing either of those if you do.
You don't have to stop playing. You just can't be critical of the Chinese government's handling of the HK protests AND be an influencer of any renown on any of Tencent's properties. They will act as proxy for the gov't and punish the heck out of you. They possibly cancelled Woj's show for simply liking a the tweet from the Rockets exec.
https://deadspin.com/adrian-wojnarowski-upset-former-espn-reporter-who-helpe-1838922338

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I don’t play microtransaction filled games. For the most part that relegates me to mostly AA and indie games. There are some notable AAA exceptions like From Software’s games though.
[automerge]1571229254[/automerge]
You don't have to stop playing. You just can't be critical of the Chinese government's handling of the HK protests AND be an influencer of any renown on any of Tencent's properties. They will act as proxy for the gov't and punish the heck out of you. They possibly cancelled Woj's show for simply liking a the tweet from the Rockets exec.
https://deadspin.com/adrian-wojnarowski-upset-former-espn-reporter-who-helpe-1838922338
Like what happened with DJ Zedd. Banned from China for life for liking a South Park tweet.

Reactions: 69Mustang

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I was going to comment that I'd be all about this if I can sign into my existing LoL account and have access to my purchased characters & their skins...

...but then China had to go and ruin all of that.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I don’t play microtransaction filled games. For the most part that relegates me to mostly AA and indie games. There are some notable AAA exceptions like From Software’s games though.
[automerge]1571229254[/automerge]

Like what happened with DJ Zedd. Banned from China for life for liking a South Park tweet.

I don't think people realize the reach of Tencent. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tencent#Video_games They either own or partially own stakes in Riot Games, Miniclip, Grind Gear Games, Glu Mobile, Epic Games, Activision Blizzard, Ubisoft, Paradox Interactive, and Supercell. The new Call of Duty:Mobile? Yup, Tencent.

Tencent is more than willing to drop a hammer on any influencer that says anything negative about China. Almost everybody with a financial stake tied to China has essential gone radio silent.

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
Vainglory is literally the best MOBA for mobile hands down. It has the best touch controls- not a joystick like every other mobile MOBA.
Although League Mobile will be wildly popular because, well... it’s league. And I think in general league of legends is a much more in depth, well thought out and designed game- however... when it comes to mobile play, vainglory has it beat, hands down.

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Written on a computer/device made in China, in a seat probably made in a China on a forum who's servers will be made in China. Ah well.
Well, hey, at least it’s something. I know I’ll be more cautious from now on about giving my money to China.

Reactions: uther

Princejb134

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Vainglory is literally the best MOBA for mobile hands down. It has the best touch controls- not a joystick like every other mobile MOBA.
Although League Mobile will be wildly popular because, well... it’s league. And I think in general league of legends is a much more in depth, well thought out and designed game- however... when it comes to mobile play, vainglory has it beat, hands down.

highly disagree. Vainglory is good in its own right. It has pretty graphics and animations but battles can be a little boring. You can’t even customize your kit or communicate during a fight without using those emojis. I much more prefer mobile legends which is a league of legends clone for smartphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.