LEAK: Dell's 7 and 10-inch Streak Tablets

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Alchematron, Apr 17, 2010.

1. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...and will get you a call from Apple's legal team.

"Streak"...as in something left in a toilet bowl? And people thought iPad was a dumb name.

2. GamecockMac macrumors 6502a

GamecockMac

From the Gizmodo article:

PC company borrowing heavily from Apple's industrial design? You don't say.

3. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Competition is always good. I hope they offer a legitimate challenge.

I don't like they're design decision of putting Dell on the front though. What if you are handing it to someone and it's upside down? It's not very aesthetically pleasing to have an upside down logo. It's interesting how apple did not mark up the iPhone, iPad, the touch, or even their iPods with the model name or "apple" in front. Its cause the product speaks for itself. No need to advertise it.

4. GamecockMac macrumors 6502a

GamecockMac

What's funny is that I almost made an identical post to this, except for me the first mental image was of the stain found in some folks' underwear.

Hey, maybe Dell can release a special edition in Zune Brown (color licensed from Micro$oft, of course). :D

5. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

The can and will copy Apple's design, but as always with these things, it comes down to the details and the software. And I'd be willing to bet a lot of money (I own Apple stock, so I guess I have) that they'll get most of it wrong, as they always do.

Will it have a screen that doesn't look like crap when you're 15 degrees off axis? Will it have fans and/or burn your leg? Will it get 10 hours of battery life? Will it take a few seconds to rotate to a new orientation and will it do so gracefully? How awkward will it be to use a 16x9 screen in portrait mode? Will the Android OS scale well to a tablet size form factor? Will the screen be as effortless to control and as responsive as the iPad? Will you have to touch two or three times to register a touch, or will it register false touches? Will the UI for copy/passte be rough? Will scrolling and zooming be smooth? And so forth...

They'll make something that looks slick in ads and demos, but in real world use falls very short.

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Look good :). Be interesting to see where the roadmap for android takes these.

7. GamecockMac macrumors 6502a

GamecockMac

Isn't going to take them very far if what a commenter to the Gizmodo article stated is accurate...

Can anyone verify if this is indeed the case?

8. Alchematron thread starter macrumors 65816

Alchematron

9. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I don't like the name, but if it was an Apple item, released as iStreak, I'm sure it would sell. About the design - well, there are not many ways to present a tablet. Unibody MacBook Pros also remind me of 4-5 years old Sony Vaios and Fujitsu Siemens laptops.

I want something light, slim, matte and cheap. Otherwise, a tablet makes no sense to me.

Something, like the Skiff, but slightly smaller. At this stage, I'd rather have a matte e-ink with poor video performance and weak colours, than a glossy screen with stunning picture. I cannot use my unibody MBPs outside, whereas I could use my MBA and plastic MB outdoors.

For most things that I'd use a tablet for, I don't need colours - I need freedom, lightness and a matte screen at a reasonable price.

10. mbell75 macrumors 6502

Correct. Only the "with Google" devices are allowed access to the market, which means only phones pretty much. Rumor is Google and HTC are considering a tablet. I am sure Google wants their own tablet to have exclusive on the market. Pretty lame though. An Android tablet without access to the market is pretty much useless IMO

11. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

12. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Somebody gotta do it right. I don't want the internet in my hands, I want the power of computing in them. :rolleyes: