leaked firmware?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ruinfx, Jun 6, 2008.

1. diddy macrumors 6502

Holy crap.

Could have seen this coming, I suppose. After talk of test firmware being distributed to carriers and all...

This will be a post from Arn in 3.. 2.. 1... ;):D

2. ruinfx thread starter macrumors 6502a

interesting it says tri-band hsdpa (sorry t-mobile) and aGPS not real GPS.

3. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

what's aGPS

4. David G. macrumors 6502a

Here's the obligatory wikipedia link. :D

5. ruinfx thread starter macrumors 6502a

assisted GPS. means that it uses both satellites and the network to position.

6. phinnaeus macrumors member

7. ruinfx thread starter macrumors 6502a

i guess im just wondering if the new iphone will be able to position without the help of the network (satellites only).

8. phinnaeus macrumors member

Well from what I know aGPS just uses towers to get a more accurate/faster fix on your location, so if the tower information is weak/degraded, then it just uses the satellites. I might be wrong.

9. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I don't see anything about a better camera (or a front camera), which I'm sure will have lots of people upset...

10. phinnaeus macrumors member

To be honest, the lack of news about the camera doesn't bother me. They can't make it worse, and my current cell's 2MP camera works just fine for me. I'm much happier about the (basically) confirmation of GPS. Seriously, it may not seem like a big deal to some, but I have a terrible sense of direction and and terrible memory for street names. I wish I could have a GPS put in my brain (It would prevent me from losing my mind).

Edit: sweet, last post in a dead thread.

11. Love Juice macrumors regular

what 3g band does tmobile usa use? is it the aws 1700mhz and therefore not compatible?

12. aethelbert macrumors 601

Doesn't matter how much crap they fill this phone with. Fact is, someone will always be upset over something in a new product.

13. SnakeXs macrumors member

So is there any certainty now to where NYC T-Mo users, or T-Mo 3G iPhone users of the future stand?

3Gless is the vibe I'm getting.

14. Knolly macrumors 6502a

I'm actually not so sure that it would be software based at all... Just a better sensor delivering a better signal to the hardware... Could be wrong though.

15. oodanner macrumors newbie

This story of aGPS so far seems fairly reasonable and straightforward, but alas it is not. See aGPS is not some monolithic, written-in-stone-standard. In fact, Qualcomm, who makes the most popular aGPS chips (called GPSOne) has four different possible configurations for aGPS. How aGPS is actually implemented on the device appears to be up to the device OEM/cellular carriers.

These four options are:

* Standalone - Your handset has no connection to the network, and uses only the GPS satellite signals it can currently receive to try and establish a location.
    * MS Based - Your handset is connected to the network, and uses the GPS signals + a location signal from the network.
    * MS Assisted - Your handset is connected to the network, uses GPS signals + a location signal then relays its 'fix' to the server, which then uses the signal strength from your phone to the network towers to further plot your position. You can still maintain voice communication in this scenario, but not 'Internet/Network service' ie Web Browser, IM, streaming TV etc..
    * MS Assisted/Hybrid - Same as above, but network functionality remains. Normally only in areas with exceptional coverage.

btw, I have a phone that currently has aGPS in it that operates in stand alone mode so I don't know what your definition of a real GPS is but, I can get GPS sat coordinates in airplane mode on my phone.

16. americaskate macrumors member

Hey,
    Question:
    Will aGPS act exactly like a regular GPS device?
    I'm not asking about how it gets the data- but will it function exactly
    like a regular GPS or will in not be as accurate?

17. ruinfx thread starter macrumors 6502a

my definition of "real gps" is like the standalone option that you listed. the phone has no network connection and only interacts with the satellites to position.

18. oodanner macrumors newbie

I don't think anyone can answer this question about the iphone until it is released but, in general it depends on the type of aGPS chip used and what is allowed by the cell phone producer(Apple) and the carrier(AT&T).

I'm hoping for standalone aGPS operation as that acts just like a regular GPS and doesn't require a network connection to the carrier.

I have aGPS standalone in my current phone and it works just as well accuracy-wise compared to some of the other Garmins and Mios I have owned.

19. oodanner macrumors newbie

Yep, and aGPS is capable of being a "real gps" depending on the chipset they use and whether or not they decide to enable it in the software.

I have my fingers crossed that they won't cripple it.

20. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

aGPS is not proper GPS, I had this on my Motorola A835 I got a few years ago for £25, its nothing new. Still better than just WiFi and cellular networks alone, though.