Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
It may be backward compatible (via adapters), but it'll get a different connector (which imho is bad for a standard that has still not gotten overly wide market acceptance - and sheds a poor light on the long-time planning capabilities of the parties involved).

Thunderbolt 1, 2 and 3 have different ports????

repoman27

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
No special bridge likely because it is being passed through like the DisplayPort is now. Thunderbolt controller has two (dual) modes now when directly connected. One in which Thunderbolt is active and another where it is not active at all on a port that is in pass-through ( "backwards" compatible with display port) mode.

Not sure if it is poor translation but the "additional" modes could mean that with a USB 3.0 physical adapter and USB 3.0 signals being feed into the TB controller than could have a "non TB" mode where can use the port(s) for USB 3.0 ( and similar with HDMI input another HDMI 2.0 pass through mode + adapter).

That would decidedly different than encoding USB 3.0 ( or HDMI 2.0) into TB protocol to be transported somewhere else. In other words if no TB perhiperal to talk to then can still use the port for other uses ( USB 3.0 , DP 1.2 , HDMI 2.... each probably with a very low cost adapter since the port is physically different than all three. )

They could add the complexity to encode and transport USB 3.0 over daisy chains but it doesn't particularly make alot of sense or add lots of value. What primarily would be doing in that case is just adding more 'load' to the central USB 3.0 chipset versus adding another USB 3.0 controller. If really trying to add bandwidth then yet another controller (or an even faster USB 3.1 one) is needed. Otherwise, it is simply just diluting a USB controller even more. Not sure why need a 10, let alone 40, Gb/s conduit to do that.

Similar with HDMI 2.0. Perhaps a 'free' DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 converter so that could take transported DP 1.2 signals can convert them to HDMI 2.0 downstream... but yet another highly overlapping protocol.... why??? HDMI 2.0 just covers the ground that DP 1.2 already covers in terms of bandwidth. I can see next generation (or two) TB controllers cutting down on the external (to TB controller) DP ( and HDMI) chips need to buy to fully implement a solution ... but another long distant protocol handler... why? One reason why TB solution are expensive is the additional DP mode handling infrastructure that is required to be present. (e.g., two port TB solution tend to be substantially more expensive because can plug DP only devices into them). Integrating some of that into a more affordable chipset would lead to more affordable solutions. That is a major problem that TB has. Not lacking a HDMI connector.

I think you may be right in that USB 3.0 will simply be another signaling mode of the new connector, rather than being transported over Thunderbolt via a protocol adapter. The new power handling capabilities are probably based on the USB Power Delivery Specification, and the connector might be a derivative of the proposed USB Type-C connector. Otherwise I would be surprised that Intel would even allow the Thunderbolt controller package size to be increased by the addition of connections for USB.

Since Thunderbolt ports were always required to support DisplayPort Dual-Mode, and Thunderbolt 2 already supports DP 1.2 and High-Speed HDMI 1.4 via DP Dual-Mode 1.1, the HDMI 2.0 part isn't that surprising. Likely Alpine Ridge will just support DP Dual-Mode 1.2 or whatever rolls HDMI 2.0 into the mix. It would be really nice if the DP to Dual-Mode DP redriver was finally included on the Thunderbolt controller die though.

TB is not based on PCIe. Thunderbolt transports PCIe data. It isn't PCIe. The routing, config/distance, and admin demands are different.

So yes. It does need to be faster and is. PCIe x1 is slower than a Thunderbolt channel. Sure PCIe lanes can be bundled bigger than just one, but there is only a x4 on/off ramp to/from Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt just has to be faster than a bundle of x4 and it is. That is exactly why don't induce major latency glitches at the other end of a 5 device daisy chain.

Thunderbolt appears to parts of the rest of the system to just be a PCIe switch, but that doesn't mean that is what Thunderbolt is. That appearance at the "edge" of the Thunderbolt network is for ease of interface to mainstream design purposes, not driven by protocol implementation.
No. Thunderbolt 3 will have faster on/off ramps onto TB3 via PCIe v3.0. That doesn't mean Thunderbolt is PCIe v3.0.

Thunderbolt protocol is not "external PCIe". There already was/is an "external PCIe" standard and TB isn't it. It is different.

Thanks for pointing this out as well—Thunderbolt has always been "faster" than PCIe, it just isn't designed to be as wide. PCIe 2.0 is 4 Gbit/s and PCIe 3.0 is 7.877 Gbit/s per lane (without including encoding overhead) but scale to x16 lanes vs. Thunderbolt at 10 Gbit/s per channel with a single cable carrying two channels, but only Thunderbolt 2 being able to bond them together as an x2 link.

If you're discussing the PCIe transport capabilities of Thunderbolt though, the controllers will continue to be limited by the back end, which probably won't go past x4 any time soon due to the costs associated with scaling up the on-die PCIe switch, protocol adapters, Thunderbolt crossbar switch, and package to accommodate connections for more PCIe lanes. That means we're stuck at 16 Gbit/s of PCIe throughput for Falcon Ridge, and 31.5 Gbit/s for Alpine Ridge. In reality, that's probably just fine though. It's not like the platforms that are likely to be graced with Thunderbolt have a ton of PCIe capacity to spare.

Thunderbolt does impose a pretty hefty PCIe latency penalty though, something like 1.5 microseconds per hop, or 9 μs of round-trip latency for the last device in a 6 device chain. This is much worse than typical PCIe switches which only induce maybe a couple hundred ns of latency.

repoman27

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
That was an extremely informative post, but I'd just like to point out that you started off by calling me wrong, yet nothing you've said corrected/contradicted anything I've said.

You simply moved to other metrics like random write or sequencial read while that's not what I was talking about. This was about sequential write and my 25 MB/s max estimation is still on point for modern smartphones:

We were discussing the topic of using a faster cable to sync your music. What's the point of fast read speed in that context? I had explicitely said:

OK, sorry, totally missed the rather valid point that you were calling out the sequential write limitations in particular. I think the iPhone 5s might be able to do close to 40 MB/s, but you're right, still hardly worth switching to USB 3.0 for.

Although I'm probably not the typical user here, that might have gone over my head because I generally plug my phone into my PC to back it up or transfer photos / videos to the PC, so I'm always supremely annoyed that I can't get much better than 25 MB/s due to feeble USB 2.0.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
I was hoping for a new connector type to FIX the current one, which is too loose. It should have some type of "locking" mechanism. Many engineers have told me it would have been easy to add in a "lock" but I wonder why Intel didn't do it?? Right now, it's way too easy to come off.

God, ANOTHER new connector type! Thunderbolt is so recent, Intel really couldn't foresee a "~3mm" slimmer FINAL and PERMANENT (and why the hell not REVERSIBLE) connector from the get-go?!?! :mad: :confused: :mad:

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I think you may be right in that USB 3.0 will simply be another signaling mode of the new connector, rather than being transported over Thunderbolt via a protocol adapter. The new power handling capabilities are probably based on the USB Power Delivery Specification, and the connector might be a derivative of the proposed USB Type-C connector. Otherwise I would be surprised that Intel would even allow the Thunderbolt controller package size to be increased by the addition of connections for USB.

Since Thunderbolt ports were always required to support DisplayPort Dual-Mode, and Thunderbolt 2 already supports DP 1.2 and High-Speed HDMI 1.4 via DP Dual-Mode 1.1, the HDMI 2.0 part isn't that surprising. Likely Alpine Ridge will just support DP Dual-Mode 1.2 or whatever rolls HDMI 2.0 into the mix. It would be really nice if the DP to Dual-Mode DP redriver was finally included on the Thunderbolt controller die though.

Thanks for pointing this out as well—Thunderbolt has always been "faster" than PCIe, it just isn't designed to be as wide. PCIe 2.0 is 4 Gbit/s and PCIe 3.0 is 7.877 Gbit/s per lane (without including encoding overhead) but scale to x16 lanes vs. Thunderbolt at 10 Gbit/s per channel with a single cable carrying two channels, but only Thunderbolt 2 being able to bond them together as an x2 link.

If you're discussing the PCIe transport capabilities of Thunderbolt though, the controllers will continue to be limited by the back end, which probably won't go past x4 any time soon due to the costs associated with scaling up the on-die PCIe switch, protocol adapters, Thunderbolt crossbar switch, and package to accommodate connections for more PCIe lanes. That means we're stuck at 16 Gbit/s of PCIe throughput for Falcon Ridge, and 31.5 Gbit/s for Alpine Ridge. In reality, that's probably just fine though. It's not like the platforms that are likely to be graced with Thunderbolt have a ton of PCIe capacity to spare.

Thunderbolt does impose a pretty hefty PCIe latency penalty though, something like 1.5 microseconds per hop, or 9 μs of round-trip latency for the last device in a 6 device chain. This is much worse than typical PCIe switches which only induce maybe a couple hundred ns of latency.

TB is not based on PCIe. Thunderbolt transports PCIe data. It isn't PCIe. The routing, config/distance, and admin demands are different.

So yes. It does need to be faster and is. PCIe x1 is slower than a Thunderbolt channel. Sure PCIe lanes can be bundled bigger than just one, but there is only a x4 on/off ramp to/from Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt just has to be faster than a bundle of x4 and it is. That is exactly why don't induce major latency glitches at the other end of a 5 device daisy chain.

Thunderbolt appears to parts of the rest of the system to just be a PCIe switch, but that doesn't mean that is what Thunderbolt is. That appearance at the "edge" of the Thunderbolt network is for ease of interface to mainstream design purposes, not driven by protocol implementation.

No. Thunderbolt 3 will have faster on/off ramps onto TB3 via PCIe v3.0. That doesn't mean Thunderbolt is PCIe v3.0.

Thunderbolt protocol is not "external PCIe". There already was/is an "external PCIe" standard and TB isn't it. It is different.

Dudes, I never said Thunderbolt is PCIe. If I did, I'd say that instead I said it is based on PCI-e, as in that's its backend. As in there's a PCIe SSD, PCIe GFC card. They all use PCI-E as its backend. If based on PCIe is not the proper term, please let me know how to say it right. From now on I'll say TB currently depends on PCIe to carry its data through to PC, it cannot be faster than PCIe.

Thunderbold intermixes the PCI-E and DP lanes into the same controller, so that it can carry both traffic via its cable into its controller and that gets pushed into the PCI-E lanes on the motherboard.

Thunderbolt does not have a special line path to the CPU.

Here's the graphic from Intel itself:

thunderbolt-block-diagram-3x1.jpg.rendition.cq5dam.webintel.640.213.jpg

Unless Thunderbolt has direct paths to the CPU, it CANNOT go faster than the entire bandwidth of PCI-E. Thus, the point I was trying to make.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Considering wifi sync was ANNOUNCED at that event, it seems unlikely that Apple also claimed that 99% of users had stopped using wired sync at that same event. But good try weaseling out of backing up your claim with "I'm tired of looking it up..."
Stop being lazy and watch the keynote. Wireless sync was announced BECAUSE nobody was doing wired sync even BEFORE there was an alternative. That's right, people would rather not sync at all than do wired sync and that was back in 2011. There is nobody left doing wired sync three years later except for the odd loudmouth.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
Eating is so overrated...
Also, it seems to me that you don't need Thunderbolt.

I have a career as a freelancer in the creative field and handle large files and large volumes of files on a regular basis and FireWire 800 is only so fast these days.

Considering that I'm a working professional and not just some average tech geek, yeah, I do need Thunderbolt.

What I was trying to get at is the fact that Thunderbolt accessories were very expensive when they were first released and remain so to this day. There are freelancers like myself that need to own this type of hardware in order to keep up with the rest of the field but have to make decisions whether it makes financial sense to make this type of investment at the moment.

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
That $150 Belkin dock is most likely the first and last piece of thunderbolt accessory I would buy for personal use. I just need it to extend my mid-2011 MacBook Air with USB3 ports and gigabit ethernet. My next Mac probably won't even need this dock at all..

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Stop being lazy and watch the keynote.

Yeah, that's a good use of my time considering now you're changing what you thought it said.

nobody was doing wired sync...

So let's get this straight. At that point wireless sync didn't exist. So millions of people were buying iPods and other iOS devices. And nobody was doing wired sync...which meant that since that was the only way to sync, all of those millions of people were walking around listening to iPods with no music loaded on them.

Yeah, I really wish I would have wasted my time watching a whole keynote just to confirm that you are an idiot who pulled statistics out of your ass.

This isn't about other people being lazy, this is about you making claims with nothing to back them up. If you really think there was something in that keynote that makes your point then provide a direct quote. It's time to put up or shut up.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Yeah, that's a good use of my time considering now you're changing what you thought it said.

So let's get this straight. At that point wireless sync didn't exist. So millions of people were buying iPods and other iOS devices. And nobody was doing wired sync...which meant that since that was the only way to sync, all of those millions of people were walking around listening to iPods with no music loaded on them.

Yeah, I really wish I would have wasted my time watching a whole keynote just to confirm that you are an idiot who pulled statistics out of your ass.

This isn't about other people being lazy, this is about you making claims with nothing to back them up. If you really think there was something in that keynote that makes your point then provide a direct quote. It's time to put up or shut up.
How. Have I changed what was said? Jobs pointed out that most people never sync after the day they buy their device and never back up or load additional content other than what can be bought on the device, nor do they ever take their photos off their device. He had a problem with that, so he announced iCloud backup, wireless sync, etc. to make life easier for those who do and encourage those who don't. As for wires, they have no future and lighting will be the last wired connector for iOS.

yakovlev

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2013
to transfer files between two Macs via Target Disk Mode

You should try using IP over Thunderbolt for that. Connect two Macs with a Thunderbolt cable, enable File Sharing in System Preferences > Sharing, and that’s it. (If both Macs are simultaneously connected via a Wi-Fi network, make sure that Thunderbolt Bridge is above Wi-Fi in System Preferences > Network; if not, drag it higher.)

IP over Thunderbolt will soon be available for Mac-to-PC and PC-to-PC Thunderbolt connections as well: http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/07/thunderbolt-2-networking/ .

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Have I changed what was said?

You keep insisting that 99% never use the cable with nothing to back it up, now the best you can do is "most". And you still haven't given the Jobs quote from WWDC 2011, not sure if it's because you're lazy or because he didn't say it.

My guess is that you're thinking of the report that came out just before WWDC 2011 about iPhone users not syncing. And that report said the number who don't sync is less than half. But that was almost three years ago, since you didn't bother to look it up before spouting off I'm not surprised you didn't really remember the details.

You totally have the opportunity to prove me wrong and make me look like a moron, you just need to post that Jobs quote. But you won't. Because he didn't say it. I know, but the bad man is so lazy and won't look it up himself (pounds tiny fists on the ground!!!!).

As for wires having no future, one thing that will be required for that to happen is either for iPods to have wireless functionality added or for Apple to discontinue the iPod completely. Neither seems likely to happen any time soon.

It's also kind of hilarious to say that Apple thought the cable was dead in 2011...and then 15 months later they went to the trouble of creating a new standard of cable for those very same devices. Yeah, that makes total sense for something that nobody was using.

bgfanauk

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2014
Can't they just release 1 version and get it over with? All these revisions just make it impossible to take this technology to mainstream adoption. The biggest advantage of USB 2.0 wasn't the technology, it was the fact that it stuck around for over 10 years.

I see your point. But, it is always better for the technology to improve. Thunderbolt 3 is backwards compatible. So you should still be ok with it.

Because USB 2.0 did get stuck for 10 years, it created a room for other technologies, like Thunderbolts to come in and take over a portion of pie.

Don't blame the world for spinning too fast. Blame yourself for not being able to catch up.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
TB2 is enough for that..

Are you sure? I thought I read an article that said retina TB display won't come yet because 2880 x 5120 at 60 Hz is just over TB2's capabilities.

----------

It can go around 25 MB/s max.

For comparison, Macs with flash storage can go up to between 750 and 1200 MB/s depending on the model. So not even close.

Even a 5400RPM mechanical 2.5" hard drive (like those in the old 13" cMBP) can go up to 90MB/s.

The flash storage in iOS devices is really the slowest. It does have better latency than a mechanical drive though, but it's more comparable to memory inside a USB thumb drive or high-end SD card in terms of performance (which is pretty bad).

That's just awful. Why are prices so high still for it? I always assumed flash was fast on ios devices because of how speedy and how fast apps open on them. Do you know if there is going to be an improvement in the near future on phone/tablet storage speed?

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
You keep insisting that 99% never use the cable with nothing to back it up, now the best you can do is "most". And you still haven't given the Jobs quote from WWDC 2011, not sure if it's because you're lazy or because he didn't say it.

My guess is that you're thinking of the report that came out just before WWDC 2011 about iPhone users not syncing. And that report said the number who don't sync is less than half. But that was almost three years ago, since you didn't bother to look it up before spouting off I'm not surprised you didn't really remember the details.

You totally have the opportunity to prove me wrong and make me look like a moron, you just need to post that Jobs quote. But you won't. Because he didn't say it. I know, but the bad man is so lazy and won't look it up himself (pounds tiny fists on the ground!!!!).

As for wires having no future, one thing that will be required for that to happen is either for iPods to have wireless functionality added or for Apple to discontinue the iPod completely. Neither seems likely to happen any time soon.

It's also kind of hilarious to say that Apple thought the cable was dead in 2011...and then 15 months later they went to the trouble of creating a new standard of cable for those very same devices. Yeah, that makes total sense for something that nobody was using.
I prefer to let you dig yourself a little deeper first. Let's here some more silliness along the lines of your second last paragraph. The iPod is dead, you must be the only person who didn't hear? Apple stopped updating it some time ago now.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
That's just awful. Why are prices so high still for it? I always assumed flash was fast on ios devices because of how speedy and how fast apps open on them. Do you know if there is going to be an improvement in the near future on phone/tablet storage speed?

You're referring to latency, not performance, they're not the same thing.

You can have both hard drive and flash drive perform at maximum of 25MBps but the Flash drive get there sooner for you. Opening app quicker is usually about latency but if both apps starts transferring data, they'll be at the same speed.

An analog would be two cars, a Ford Focus and a Porsche. Let's say you put a limiter on the Porsche at 80MPH. Both cars can go up to 80MPH but you will feel the acceleration faster in Porsche than Focus, that's what the latency is about.

However in the end, both cars will be going at 80MPH with no differences between then except when you break, turn corners and speed back up. Again, that's the latency, not the performance.

The performance in the mobile device's flash chips are increasing every year, they'll get better for sure. Sandisk and Toshiba have working in this area and they plan to have something out later this year or next year that should boost the performance beyond 100MBps in mobile devices.

The question is, can those chips perform at an acceptable power and price levels.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Why should Thunderbolt devices be mass produced when there is a limited market for people who want them and use them to there full potential?!?

You must be talking about SLR camera lenses. The lower limit on cost of a top-quality lens is fairly high no matter how many you make.

I'm guessing when you say mass produced, you mean cheaper? The type of devices for Thunderbolt tend to be high performance and do more then a conventional consumer device.

Actually, when you are talking about silicon, mass produced and cheaper go together-- it is that simple. Build millions of supercomputers on a chip, and, they can be had for $500-$2000, or less, depending. Now, we build supercomputers out of those cheap chips. And you carry around a supercomputer in your pocket and call it a cell phone.

Trying to get professional equipment at budget prices usually does not work in the real world without effecting quality and cutting corners somewhere.

The average consumer does not need a rack mounted enclosure that holds several Mac Minis with PCIe slots all connected by Thunderbolt for example. And certainly not cheap in any case.

The average consumer, or, a higher-end, "prosumer" consumer? Grandma may not have that big an appetite for I/O, but, even people using Aperture and storing and backing up tens of thousands of pictures need I/O. Oh, and Grandma probably has a iPad and may be doing more computing than you realize.

Price is also irrelevant if you work in a job that has a higher rate of return based on the cost of the equipment you need to invest. Often the faster you can get your product out, the more money you can make.

If the job you work in does not have such a high rate of return, USB 3.0 should be sufficient and perhaps they don't need Thunderbolt to begin with.

Experience shows that both amateurs and professionals have an appetite for I/O. The professionals can pay more for it, but, just like with higher-end CPUs, both amateurs and professionals benefit if they can share peripherals and enjoy economies of scale. Artificial market differentiation doesn't benefit anyone.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
here http://www.ispazio.net/474465/nuovi...c-2014-con-thunderbolt-ultraveloce-da-40-gbps
are saying that next 2014 Mac Book will sport it..
while here i read maybe in 2015..

i mean Broadwell ( hd6000? )MacBook Retina and TB3 ....shut up and take my money
It's not gonna happen this year. The leaked charts themselves show TB3 with Skylake which is after Broadwell. Right now Intel's saying the manufacturing ramp of Skylake will begin in 2H2015 and that's if there aren't any delays. So I wouldn't expect Skylake, and by extension, TB3, until the end of 2015 or early 2016.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
How. Have I changed what was said? Jobs pointed out that most people never sync after the day they buy their device and never back up or load additional content other than what can be bought on the device, nor do they ever take their photos off their device.

Strange. I just backed up and synced today, using USB. I never thought I was so special over such a thing.

He had a problem with that, so he announced iCloud backup, wireless sync, etc. to make life easier for those who do and encourage those who don't. As for wires, they have no future and lighting will be the last wired connector for iOS.

Jcknows0

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2013
0 Infinite Loop
Had mine a few years. Thanks to the Thunderbolt port, I upgraded to an SSD boot drive that runs at near internal-drive speeds without having to open the iMac :)

I did the same, very little overhead. I'm really excited to upgrade the ssd in my wife's 2013 air soon (whenever OWC brings to market) and then my boot drive will be flying at pcie ssd speeds! Try that with USB 3 (I did, the ssd performance was less than half and you're chewing through CPU cycles)

repoman27

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
Are you sure? I thought I read an article that said retina TB display won't come yet because 2880 x 5120 at 60 Hz is just over TB2's capabilities.

You are correct. 5120 x 2880, @ 60 Hz, 24 bpp would require at least 22.52 Gbit/s, which is more than a single DisplayPort 1.2 main link or Thunderbolt cable can handle. The DSL5520 Thunderbolt 2 controller has 2 DP 1.2 sink adapters though, so it could drive such a display as two 2560 x 2880 tiles (or four 2560 x 1440 tiles using MST), but that would require at least 23.2 Gbit/s and the use of two Thunderbolt ports / cables.

I kind of jumped all over pgiguere1 for that comment earlier because I was afraid people would have the same reaction that you are. The NAND used in smartphones is often quite good, it's just optimized for different aspects of performance. For instance, small random read performance might be 30x better than that of the fastest HDDs, thus the quick boot times and app launching.

SSDs achieve their crazy performance through parallelism, often using 8 or more channels, not intrinsically faster NAND. That type of design is currently not really feasible for ultra mobile devices where the whole storage system is packaged in a single chip. Through Silicon Vias (TSVs) and more advanced die stacking techniques may change that in the near future though.

You're referring to latency, not performance, they're not the same thing.

You can have both hard drive and flash drive perform at maximum of 25MBps but the Flash drive get there sooner for you. Opening app quicker is usually about latency but if both apps starts transferring data, they'll be at the same speed.

An analog would be two cars, a Ford Focus and a Porsche. Let's say you put a limiter on the Porsche at 80MPH. Both cars can go up to 80MPH but you will feel the acceleration faster in Porsche than Focus, that's what the latency is about.

However in the end, both cars will be going at 80MPH with no differences between then except when you break, turn corners and speed back up. Again, that's the latency, not the performance.

The performance in the mobile device's flash chips are increasing every year, they'll get better for sure. Sandisk and Toshiba have working in this area and they plan to have something out later this year or next year that should boost the performance beyond 100MBps in mobile devices.

The question is, can those chips perform at an acceptable power and price levels.

As much as I like car analogies, I think this one has some issues. Mostly because although we take throughput in MB/s as a measure of storage performance, if we look closely at any given time interval, data is generally either flowing at close to the maximum rate allowed by the media or interface, or not at all. This is why we look at max sequential read and write speeds. The other corners of the performance equation are small random IOs, which introduce the most latency, or time spent not delivering any data, because they require the most overhead to service. Solid state will generally always beat mechanical spinning disks when it comes to small random IOPS, and can leverage parallelism much more readily to boot—it just costs way more per GB at this point.

Dudes, I never said Thunderbolt is PCIe. If I did, I'd say that instead I said it is based on PCI-e, as in that's its backend. As in there's a PCIe SSD, PCIe GFC card. They all use PCI-E as its backend. If based on PCIe is not the proper term, please let me know how to say it right. From now on I'll say TB currently depends on PCIe to carry its data through to PC, it cannot be faster than PCIe.

Thunderbold intermixes the PCI-E and DP lanes into the same controller, so that it can carry both traffic via its cable into its controller and that gets pushed into the PCI-E lanes on the motherboard.

Thunderbolt does not have a special line path to the CPU.

Here's the graphic from Intel itself:

Unless Thunderbolt has direct paths to the CPU, it CANNOT go faster than the entire bandwidth of PCI-E. Thus, the point I was trying to make.

Thunderbolt is a high-speed, packet based, serial I/O interface. A 4-channel Thunderbolt controller has a PCIe 2.0 back end (a 4-lane, full-duplex serial interface operating at 5 GT/s with 8b/10b encoding), two DP sink connections, and one DP source connection (each with 4-lane, simplex main links operating at up to 5.4 Gbit/s with 8b/10b encoding). Protocol adapters in the controller deserialize the data on each interface and forward the packets via a crossbar switch to the next hop. The packets are reserialized at 10.3125 Gbit/s with 64b/66b encoding before being sent over one of the channels comprising a Thunderbolt link.

The front facing Thunderbolt channels offer considerably more bandwidth than just the PCIe back end, but once you add DisplayPort into the mix, the back end swells to a potential 50.56 Gbit/s in and 33.28 Gbit/s out (or even more if you include DP AUX channels).

In a host situation, the DP sink connections are generally provided by digital display outputs from either an integrated or discrete GPU. The diagram you provided is slightly outdated due to changes in the role of the PCH for certain Haswell platforms, but the idea is still more or less the same. In practice (thanks to Apple), the majority of Thunderbolt controllers are actually connected via PEG lanes which come directly from the CPU instead of from the PCH. So with some Haswell systems, both the PCIe and DP back ends for the Thunderbolt controller are provided by direct connections to the CPU, and the bandwidth linking the controller to the CPU is equivalent to or greater than that linking the CPU to the PCH. However, just to clarify, DP packets are never transported via PCIe.

Edit: Of course you are correct in that the PCIe bandwidth of a system is ultimately determined by the aggregate PCIe / DMI bandwidth of the CPU itself these days. In the case of recent desktop and mobile CPUs from Intel, that would be PCIe 3.0 x16 (the PEG lanes) plus DMI 2.0 x4 (which is essentially PCIe 2.0 x4), or 142 Gbit/s after accounting for encoding. For the enthusiast and workstation SKUs it would be PCIe 3.0 x40, plus DMI 2.0 x4, or 331 Gbit/s. So even Alpine Ridge will only be able to provide 22% of a current system's total PCIe bandwidth over a single cable, with just one tiny little connector...

Last edited:

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
It's not gonna happen this year. The leaked charts themselves show TB3 with Skylake which is after Broadwell. Right now Intel's saying the manufacturing ramp of Skylake will begin in 2H2015 and that's if there aren't any delays. So I wouldn't expect Skylake, and by extension, TB3, until the end of 2015 or early 2016.

Correct but,am i wronging or TB2 came a little before it was stated to arrive?
Also,not every today Macs have TB2 yet isn'it?

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Can't they just release 1 version and get it over with? All these revisions just make it impossible to take this technology to mainstream adoption. The biggest advantage of USB 2.0 wasn't the technology, it was the fact that it stuck around for over 10 years.

Problem with that is that it will take 10 years for the technology to improve to the point where they can realise the 100Mb per channel in anything like a consumer usable form. This is why they said it would initially be 10Mb per channel and quickly ramp up to 100Mb as the tech is perfected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.