Leaked iPhone 8 Wireless Charger Internals? [Photos]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sunny1990, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

2. samparmenter macrumors 6502

Think we all knew apple wasn't going to give us a wireless charging pad with the iPhone. We should think ourselves lucky we get a lightning cable with them to be honest.

3. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

Unless it's a really nice design it it enables fast charging, I'll probably just stick to my Samsung wireless charger.

4. Laryl macrumors 6502

Laryl

I don't quite know what the big deal is with wireless charging? I've never had anything with it so please forgive questions you might think are dumb. Will it be magnetic so you can still hold the phone while it's charging? Will it work through a case?

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

It saves you the 2 seconds to plug in the cable.
    You are supposed to put the phone on the charger, not pick it up. It will likely work through a case, depending on what materials the case is made of, of course.

6. edfoo macrumors regular

Not necessarily magnetic, you can just lay the phone on the wireless charging pad and your phone will charge instead of you having to physically connect your phone with the Lightning cable to a USB power adapter to charge it. It is more like a convenience (and laziness) device :D

7. Laryl macrumors 6502

Laryl

I wouldn't find anything convenient about not being able to use my phone while it's charging if I want. Sure plopping it down instead of plugging it in would be a couple seconds faster but I sure wouldn't buy a charger just for that. Just so much hype about wireless charging and I'm missing something I guess. That being said not having cords short out because of the constant bending/using them might be nice. I've had 2 cords go bad in the past couple months.

8. deuxani macrumors 6502

deuxani

My exact sentiment. Having an adapter that connects to a wire, that connects to a charging pad on which the phone must lay in a specific way is so far away from wireless as can be. It happens very often that I have low power on my phone, connect it to my charger and then continue using the phone. Most people around me do the exact same thing. Especially at home you see people who have their phones connected to the wall while using it. That won't be possible with this so called "wireless" charger. I even have colleagues who basically have their phones connected to a power bank most of the time during the day.

I think this way of charging will only benefit us when for instance most restaurants and offices will have "wireless" chargers imbedded in their tables (I know these exist, but they are not widespread) and your phone will be charging whenever it's lying down. Having it at home as a replacement for a cable adds nothing special, but even takes away something important: being able to use it.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Betting people will be complaining that Apple's wireless charging is so slow.

10. deuxani macrumors 6502

deuxani

Have you tried charging an iPhone 7 Plus with a regular charger. It takes forever! The wireless charger will be even slower :) Another huge downside.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I have a 7+ but I plug it in before I go to bed and have no idea how long it takes. Never have less than 50% remaining at the end of the day.

12. deuxani macrumors 6502

deuxani

At home I charge it with an 10W iPad charger, but at the office with a regular iPhone charger. It's really slow. It takes between 3 and 4 hours from 0% to 100%. Imagine doing that on a charging pad, with the energy loss that comes with it.

13. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

We have absolutely no idea how long it will take to charge using Apple's new charger. And many here don't use the regular charger for iPhones either but the better one for faster charging.

14. macTW Suspended

It's both more and less convenient.

More for the ease of setting a phone down.

Less for the difficulty in use during charging.

15. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Exactly, who else uses the phone multiple times when it's plugged in. I can't be the only one.

And no, i don't want my phone to be on/off charge 15 times when charging to 100

16. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Is wireless charging really that big a deal
    Don't get me wrong it's a nice feature but not a must have

17. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Wireless charging LOL. Another device to pack when traveling.

It's a feature I don't care much for when most of us who travel will be charging our phones at charging stations at the airport. Will you be carrying your charge pad with you when you run out of charge on the fly?

18. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

I'll wager there is some proprietary technology so you can't use a non Apple charger in this one. I'll say a new chip. The Apple C1 for Charging?

19. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

From the MR article:

Perhaps fast charging will need a proprietary charger?

EDIT: Ignore the above. The Apple Watch also uses Qi but Apple tweaked it so it only works with their charger. Who knows ...

20. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

Perhaps. I'm interested to see just what form of 'Fast Charging' we end up with. Personally, I'm not a fan of any 'Fast Charging' in this type of cell. :apple:

21. SquidRuby macrumors member

9.28 pm here, been up since 7 and I have 43% left :)