Leaked Pics Inside of Apple's Prototype Testing Labs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhoneHome, Jul 24, 2010.

1. iPhoneHome macrumors 6502

All good things were meant to be leaked...right? Just in case you weren't one of the lucky 11 journalist to walk the inner hallways of Apple's testing labs I got a few snapshots for ya.

You’ll see the prototypes covered and surrounded my iMacs, the outside/inside of an anechoic chamber of death, the dummy heads and hands used to test reception and a 3D cat scan of the iPhone 4’s internals.

More over at: http://theurbangeek.com/2010/07/24/inside-apples-secret-testing-lab-pics/

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. iPhoneHome thread starter macrumors 6502

A couple more shots

Attached Files:

3. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

4. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

That CAD program looks to be running on Windows?

5. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Some of the press sites pointed out that the iMacs were running Windows.

7. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

no if you look in zoomed in pic theres no close, minimize, or restore buttons on the upper right side so thefore they are located on the other side which means its a mac program

8. Dany M macrumors 6502

Imagine, right under there are new imacs, macbooks and ipods. Crazy.

Attached Files:

9. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

Awesome.

10. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

So is it worth waiting for the imac 27 refresh since i am planning to game. What is the step up between the 4**** and the 5**** in game playback.
    This proves they are going to refresh.... if only someone would have grabbed the table cloth and showed everyone

11. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

To me, it looks like one program open across two monitors. Notice the different toolbars on each screen.

12. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

according to the source article that is a cat scan image. not a CAD drawing.

13. iPhoneHome thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, I wish someone would have been bold enough to grab the cloth. If you look at the pics closely it appears that a few of the items are iMacs overturned.

14. iPhoneHome thread starter macrumors 6502

Correct, they use Cat Scans during testing to see how the phone reacts under certain amounts of pressure and durability test.

15. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

I really hope so cause i was just about to click comfirm on my order when i looked up imac refresh and it said wait another month so i did and here i am

16. ectlu93 macrumors member

ectlu93

17. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

So this is why they didn't catch the antenna problem..

[​IMG]

18. iPhoneHome thread starter macrumors 6502

good point..those hands are certainly in death grip mode.

19. ddoolin macrumors regular

ddoolin

They don't use CAT scans. They use CT scans. CAT scans are outdated. If they spent $100,000,000, hopefully they can take images on more than one axis.

20. cherry13bomb macrumors member

CT scans and CAT scans are the same thing. It's Computed Tomography and Computed Axial Tomograpgy. There have been changes in the technology over the years, but they are the some thing. Both terms are used in Radiology.

21. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Yep. Really amazing to think about.

22. coasterider macrumors regular

There is no Mac Autodesk programs, I have to run bootcamp for everything, AutoCAD, Revit, etc.

23. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Yep, it's amazing how often consumer devices are tested in lab rigs, and only later do any human element problems turn up. (I can tell some good stories of such goofs that I've seen over the decades. Apple's penchant for secrecy almost assured that they'd have it happen to them.)

For FCC SAR testing, labs use those fake heads, called SAM phantoms. (SAM = specific anthropomorphic mannequin. Phantom = dummy body part) They're filled before each test with a fluid to simulate human tissue. A specific mixture is used for each frequency range to be tested.

The iPhone 4 FCC testing was done by an outside laboratory, as usual. The tests are automated, with a robot moving a probe inside the phantom's liquid in a grid pattern to record the power. It only took about four days for the lab to do all the tests, and another week or so to review and submit them to the FCC.

So the turn-around time is pretty good. The cost is also not huge, which is why people are wrong when they claim that testing would slow down a fixed antenna / CDMA model or whatever.

24. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Millions of dollars and all they can come up with for storage are plastic bins you can buy at your local office/home store? Really?

I also must say, these aren't "leaked" photos. I am not sure the intent of the photos but clearly it was planned for someone to take the photos. Everything is covered in anticipation.

OP - do you work there? That would explain it. Somewhat.

25. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

Quick digression: I really wish Autodesk had true AutoCAD support. Not AutoCAD LT, not running AutoCAD in a Parallels VM, but true Mac support.

The days of the UNIX workstation are gone (HP, IBM, and Sun have all gone server only with their offerings), with only Macs being left. Autodesk should realize this and start doing more for OS X.