Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
I predicted the iBook and PowerBook lines would merge into one. Let's see if this is the case, since my amazing ability at deduction and common sense is second to none. :p

Here's to the Crazy Ones

Cfg5

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2003
California
He was right on the nano a while back, so he may be right on this one too. None of the stuff he mentions is really out of this world, too, so it could happen.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Personally, if true, this is pretty disappointing. I really wanted mac media centre to take off. I really wanted new to see a BT Mighty Mouse or an iPhone or AX with video, or something really useful.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Seems reasonable and plausible. If so, the complainers will be out in force. (Hell, they will be no matter what happens)

The FM receiver I doubt. A few vocal people here want it but if the demand were there, I would have expected Griffin, Belkin or someone else to have offered one already.

petej

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2004
FM is so yesterday.
I want DAB or Satellite Radio. Even better if I could still plug my iPod into my car radio and hence convert it to DAB / satellite.

Would be no use for my normal commute on the London Underground though.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Lacero said:
I predicted the iBook and PowerBook lines would merge into one. Let's see if this is the case, since my amazing ability at deduction and common sense is second to none. :p

Maybe MacBook and MacBook Pro?

No, wait... MacBook eXtreme. :D

Lethal

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
I know its Kevin Rose, but I dont see *just* this happening... and I highly question the sanity of anybody at Apple naming a product a 'Macbook'...I mean, seriously...

iWork and iLife are certain.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Project said:
I know its Kevin Rose, but I dont see *just* this happening... and I highly question the sanity of anybody at Apple naming a product a 'Macbook'...I mean, seriously...

iWork and iLife are certain.

I doubt they will call it MacBook too, but then they have to change something about the PowerBook name. Since they can't call it a G series PowerBook and Job's Apple hates to use product numbers (like PowerBook 1400).

However the rest of it is pretty much in line with all the rumors.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
These predictions make good sense to me.....what i am really looking forward to is a USB reciever and remote bundled with front row for all mac's i would love that for my iMac Gfizzle5....

Also the idea of one line of notebooks seems to be very likely as it is not comprehendible that they would update the iBook as rumoured and leave the powerbook to further become obcelete,

Basically Kevin ROse's prediction's are money,

SHadow

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
If Apple avoids calling the new Intel-powered laptop an iBook, they sidestep the obvious complaint that they made the iBook line superior to the PowerBook line.
Then, they bring the high-end laptop hardware out in April/May, and they can either have another new name, or just expand the current line-up of MacBooks (god, I really hope that is not the name they use).

Lacero

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
MacBook sounds dumb, so... Apple will call the new laptops PintelliBooks. Here's why:

Intel-Book >shortened to iBook (but too confusing with current iBook) > IntelBook > IntelliBook > but needs Power designation for this new breed of laptop > PowerIntelliBook > too long > shortened to PintelliBooks.

This moniker has "sticky" power.
Here's to the Crazy Ones

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Lacero said:
MacBook sounds dumb, so... Apple will call the new laptops PintelliBooks. Here's why:

Intel-Book >shortened to iBook (but too confusing with current iBook) > IntelBook > IntelliBook > but needs Power designation for this new breed of laptop > PowerIntelliBook > too long > shortened to PintelliBooks.

Crap. I actually follow your logic. And that scares the hell out of me;)

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
The question is, would you be happy with the above predictions? I think a collective sigh of disappointment would resound in the Mac and business communities if this was all that was announced. Amazing what expectations and hype can do.

I really hope to see Front Row 2.0 introduced. At the end of the day, new, faster Macs at the moment simply herald the same end computer experience. Its still OSX. Just maybe a bit faster. Front Row would at least extend the experience, must in the same way it has done for the latest iMacs, together with the iSight.

Though the form factor of a new notebook would definitely be of much interest. I just basically want smaller, lighter and thinner. To me, the current outside of the iBook is simply amazing... subtle yet elegant. I do not however like the plasticy greyness of the interior. Give me an aluminium Powerbook finish on the outside and that same off-white colour on the outside in a more compact unit and I would be perfectly satisfied....

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
zelmo said:
If Apple avoids calling the new Intel-powered laptop an iBook, they sidestep the obvious complaint that they made the iBook line superior to the PowerBook line.
Then, they bring the high-end laptop hardware out in April/May, and they can either have another new name, or just expand the current line-up of MacBooks (god, I really hope that is not the name they use).

To be honest, I think people are overestimating the importance of the iBook being *superior* to a Powerbook.

I mean, realistically we are looking at 6 months at the very most between the releases of the two. And thats at most I think. Secondly, the iBook can run faster than the current Powerbook but you have to take into effect Rosetta on the ton of apps not currently universal binaries. Then you have the extras the Powerbook offers, such as backlit keyboard, DVI, digital audio in, closed lid mode, better keyboard, better graphics card, bigger HD, S Video, better screen, better resolution, gigabit ethernet, Firewire 800 etc etc.

Then when the Powerbook comes in a few months it will have all this, plus a dual core (Yonah?) processor, thus comfortably drawing a clear distinction between the consumer and pro lines.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I still stand by my theory Intel Centrino Solo for the iBooks and Intel Centrino Duo for the PowerBooks.

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Project said:
To be honest, I think people are overestimating the importance of the iBook being *superior* to a Powerbook.

Two other possibilities:

1. New iBook today at current PowerBook prices, Apple re-prices existing PowerBook at old iBook prices. At WWDC, Intel iBooks drop back to Dec 2005 iBook prices and Intel Powerbooks are introduced at Dec 2005 PowerBook prices.

2. New Intel PowerBook today. At WWDC, Apple unveils Intel ProBook range.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
Not actually called a "MacBook"

I don't think he means something called a "MacBook" will come out. I think he means either the PowerBook or the iBook will be updated, he just doesn't know which one. I don't think there will be a "MacBook" laptop.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
LethalWolfe said:
Maybe MacBook and MacBook Pro?

No, wait... MacBook eXtreme. :D

Lethal

Maybe Apple is finally dropping the "i" in-front of most of its consumer line. It seems that every 3rd party software company uses "i" in they software, or maybe Apple is going to only use it in they consume applications and not hardware.

Take a look:

Mac Mini
Mac Book (maybe)
Mac Power (I can see it now) ;)

May Steve Jobs prove me wrong. :D

Motley

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2005
maya said:
Mac Power (I can see it now) ;)

Hmm, I just had the image of a bunch of mac fanatics in black turtle necks shouting Mac Power! Mac Power! repeatedly.

I guess we've already had the Mac Panthers.

Lacero said:

Here's to the Crazy Ones

Crazy...

There's no reason at all for Apple to mention the processor which is inside. It's their product, not Intel's.

As a matter of fact, drawing distinction between the Intel machines and the current ones is probably a bad idea, because it's important to show that this switch over to Intel chips is a seamless, smooth transition. A dropped gauntlet is not a positive move for investors.

I could see them offering a specific machine with something ELSE that sets it apart from the iBooks and Powerbooks, calling it something else ("PocketBook"?) and having the Intel Chip inside. Apple wanted Intel's for their low power usage, so maybe we're going to see a radically small (for Apple) notebook, like a widescreen 12" or widescreen 10" at super-high resolution.

The thrust is that a new product should NOT compete with current familiar ones. It needs to show that Apple has done this right and give them a small platform to work out bugs on and allow developers to get up to speed. Fans of the switch to Intel will have something to buy and the cautious can buy other familiar offerings while they wait and see.

revisionA

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
I will not be caught dead with a pocketbook, unless a supermodel is having me hold it while she tries on lingerie.

$

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.