Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gjeepguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2010
So last week some images and a video(later pulled from YouTube by request from apple) were leaked. See below.

iphone-5-components-leaked.jpg

This seemed at the time to be the verizon iPhone(I'll call it iPhone 4CDMA) Today we found out it was not. Although similar, the iPhone 4CDMA does not have the sim card slot.

This leads to my conclusion...

The image above is the iPhone 5(I'll say iPhone 4S). This would allow for a refresh of the GSM model of the iPhone with a slight upgrade (8mp camera, faster processor, use of HSPA +"4G", etc) but remain the same formfactor as the iPhone 4CDMA.

This would allow for a couple benefits
1. New phone in June for AT&T.
2. Cases for the iPhone 4CDMA would be the same as the iPhone 4S(even apple has to revise their bumper for the iPhone 4CDMA)
3. Almost an entire year to develop a new "world phone" for all networks that incorporates CDMA/HSPA+/LTE for release early 2012.

Thoughts? Just what I would do.

tremlock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2008
The Land of Cleves
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Seems it's just an antenna update and moving the mute switch. Like the 3G to 3GS. Nothing major

MarlboroLite

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
the 13 colonies
well the parts definitely speak to something....they are real parts. Perhaps Apple will really go with a "4s" in june...in which case it's not an essential upgrade....and verizon subscribers and switchers shouldn't hesitate to get the good old 4 out of fear their phones will be totally passé in 6 months as the 3GS became...and the 4s cdma version will probably not spark outrage or whining.

Gjeepguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2010
well the parts definitely speak to something....they are real parts. Perhaps Apple will really go with a "4s" in june...in which case it's not an essential upgrade....and verizon subscribers and switchers shouldn't hesitate to get the good old 4 out of fear their phones will be totally passé in 6 months as the 3GS became...and the 4s cdma version will probably not spark outrage or whining.

Thats what i am thinking.

Verizon customers get the iPhone 4CDMA in February and are happy with upgrade from android.

AT&T customers get iPhone 4S in June and are happy with upgrade from iPhone 4.

Everybody with iPhone 4 or better get iOS 4.3 and are happy.

Infraggable Kru

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2010
I highly doubt this

GSM iPhone 3G an GSM iPhone 3GS = same outside form factor = same cases

if they released an GSM iPhone 4(S) it would confuse everyone, and would require a different case than the GSM iPhone 4

this is probably a CDMA iPhone 4 Prototype

similar to the iPad prototype that had two dock openings, its just a prototype, not a hint of what the iPad 2 would look like

Gjeepguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It doesn't seem much different from the original iPhone and iPhone 3G. Same gits just a new shell and diffrerent radio.

Infraggable Kru

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2010

It doesn't seem much different from the original iPhone and iPhone 3G. Same gits just a new shell and diffrerent radio.

facepalm.jpg

Fine send me your iPhone 4 and I'll send you my iPhone 3G

I can't seriously believe you just said they aren't different

Gjeepguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2010

I was talking about the transition from the current iPhone 4 and this new image, potentially the iPhone 4S.

MarximusMG

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2009
Denver
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Gjeepguy said:
So last week some images and a video(later pulled from YouTube by request from apple) were leaked. See below.

iphone-5-components-leaked.jpg

This seemed at the time to be the verizon iPhone(I'll call it iPhone 4CDMA) Today we found out it was not. Although similar, the iPhone 4CDMA does not have the sim card slot.

This leads to my conclusion...

The image above is the iPhone 5(I'll say iPhone 4S). This would allow for a refresh of the GSM model of the iPhone with a slight upgrade (8mp camera, faster processor, use of HSPA +"4G", etc) but remain the same formfactor as the iPhone 4CDMA.

This would allow for a couple benefits
1. New phone in June for AT&T.
2. Cases for the iPhone 4CDMA would be the same as the iPhone 4S(even apple has to revise their bumper for the iPhone 4CDMA)
3. Almost an entire year to develop a new "world phone" for all networks that incorporates CDMA/HSPA+/LTE for release early 2012.

Thoughts? Just what I would do.

I honestly hope that this is the case. Being that I wil be purchasing the Verizon iPhone 4, I'd like to have some peace of mind knowing that it won't be outdated in just a few months. Even if for some reason Verizon got an updated version within 2011, I would still feel much better if it was the 4S and not a major upgrade.

The idea about the cases also makes sense to me. Apple is going to have to go through the trouble of making new bumper cases for Verizon iPhones, so why not transition the next upgrade to the same external design so it can use these cases as well? Seems logical to me.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
facepalm.jpg

Fine send me your iPhone 4 and I'll send you my iPhone 3G

I can't seriously believe you just said they aren't different

Learn to read. He was comparing 2G/3G.

I think the next gen iPhone will have the modified antenna design/buttons just for the simplicity of having cases work across all phones.

Infraggable Kru

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2010
Learn to read. He was comparing 2G/3G.

I think the next gen iPhone will have the modified antenna design/buttons just for the simplicity of having cases work across all phones.

Is this the new "fanboy" or "troll" comment when someone doesn't agree with a member here on MR

Learn to read ?

I read quite well, but people are responsible for making a clear statement online

I still can't believe you think the 2G are similar phones

lets see different casings, LCD no longer fused to front glass, less extra's in box.... oh yeah and that thing.. whats it called 3G antenna and a GPS

the only jump that wasnt that significant was 3G to 3GS the rest have been pretty significant changes

Gjeepguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Is this the new "fanboy" or "troll" comment when someone doesn't agree with a member here on MR

Learn to read ?

I read quite well, but people are responsible for making a clear statement online

I still can't believe you think the 2G are similar phones

lets see different casings, LCD no longer fused to front glass, less extra's in box.... oh yeah and that thing.. whats it called 3G antenna and a GPS

the only jump that wasnt that significant was 3G to 3GS the rest have been pretty significant changes

WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP SAYING THE CHANGE FROM IPHONE 3G TO 3GS WERE NOT SIGNIFICANT!

The "2G" iPhone and the iPhone 3G were almost the same.
- Same Display
- Same Processor (620Mhz)
- Same Graphics Card
- Same Memory (128MB)
- Same Radios (with exception of GPS and 3G)
- Same Camera
- Similar Battery

The 3G and 3GS were a significant change (maybe not by looks)
- New Processor (833MHz)
- New Graphis Card
- More Memory (256MB)
- New Radio
- Voice Control
- Nike +
- Bluetooth 2.1
- Video Recording
- Tap to Focus

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP SAYING THE CHANGE FROM IPHONE 3G TO 3GS WERE NOT SIGNIFICANT!

The "2G" iPhone and the iPhone 3G were almost the same.
- Same Display
- Same Processor (620Mhz)
- Same Graphics Card
- Same Memory (128MB)
- Same Radios (with exception of GPS and 3G)
- Same Camera
- Similar Battery

The 3G and 3GS were a significant change (maybe not by looks)
- New Processor (833MHz)
- New Graphis Card
- More Memory (256MB)
- New Radio
- Voice Control
- Nike +
- Bluetooth 2.1
- Video Recording
- Tap to Focus

For starters, 4 things on the 3GS you listed were SOFTWARE only. not hardware, like the voice control, nike +, video recording and tap to focus. so really is just comes down to a slight speed and power increase, that was it, the jump to the iPhone 4 was much bigger as was iPhone to iPhone 3g

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Agreed completely OP.

Although I don't think 2012 iPhone will be released early, still June release.

Gjeepguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2010
For starters, 4 things on the 3GS you listed were SOFTWARE only. not hardware, like the voice control, nike +, video recording and tap to focus. so really is just comes down to a slight speed and power increase, that was it, the jump to the iPhone 4 was much bigger as was iPhone to iPhone 3g

Really... software...

Nike+ is a hardware issue. It is a built-in reciever on the phone.

Video Recording is a hardware issue. Its the same camera, but processor on the iPhone and iPhone 3G couldnt handle the video.

iPhone to iPhone 3G = minor changes to radio and battery, new case

iPhone 3G to iPhone 3GS = major changes to hardware, same case

iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4 = major changes to all components

iPhone 4 to iPhone 4CDMA = minor changes to radio, new antenna design

iPhone 4 to iPhone 4S = new antenna design ???????

cherry13bomb

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
I highly doubt this

GSM iPhone 3G an GSM iPhone 3GS = same outside form factor = same cases

if they released an GSM iPhone 4(S) it would confuse everyone, and would require a different case than the GSM iPhone 4

this is probably a CDMA iPhone 4 Prototype

similar to the iPad prototype that had two dock openings, its just a prototype, not a hint of what the iPad 2 would look like

I thought I read somewhere that Apple was changing their bumpers to fit both models? (Maybe I'm wrong) People had to buy a new case from the 3GS to the iPhone 4 without mass case hysteria. My guess is they will upgrade the antenna similar to the CDMA iPhone and maybe make a few minor tweeks this summer, then summer of 2012, they will both be upgraded at once. Possibly with LTE, who knows. If the said contract till 2012 holds true, maybe releasing the CDMA version 6 months late was a loop hole. But, what do I know. ;)

Last edited:

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
It is interesting the way the 3G and 3GS look similar outside and it seems like the original iPhone to the 3G was a big jump, but its wahts inside that counts and even Apple considers the jump from 3G to 3GS more of a change than original to 3G, going by their internal number system. Plus looking at the hardware, like Gjeepguy posted, it is easy to see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.