Leaker Suggests iPad Pro Magic Keyboard Coming to More iPad Models

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple could bring the iPad Pro's Magic Keyboard to additional iPad models, or at least that's the suggestion from increasingly reliable Twitter account L0vetodream.

The Magic Keyboard is available for Apple's latest 11-inch and the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. It's also backwards compatible with both of Apple's 2018 iPad Pro models, the ‌iPad Pro‌ 12.9-inch (3rd generation) and the ‌iPad Pro‌ 11-inch (1st generation), but currently that's as far as it goes.

The leaker didn't name any iPad models, but Apple is rumored to be working on a new iPad Air that's based on the 11-inch iPad Pro, which could be a candidate to get a Magic Keyboard.

According to one report, the fourth-generation iPad Air may be equipped with a USB-C port instead of a Lightning port. Apple transitioned to USB-C for its iPad Pro models in 2018, but other iPads have continued to feature a Lightning port for charging purposes.
Rumors earlier this year suggested that Apple is working on an 11-inch ‌iPad‌ Air, which could launch in the second half of 2020. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo recently said that Apple is working on a 10.8-inch ‌iPad‌, and while he didn't say it was an "Air" model, it fits in with other rumors about a new ‌iPad‌ Air.

An earlier rumor from L0vetodream has indicated the upcoming iPad Air could feature a mini-LED display with an under-display version of Touch ID instead of Face ID, but we've yet to hear the same from other sources.

The Magic Keyboard attaches magnetically to ‌iPad Pro‌ and includes a floating design that works on either a lap or a desk, and an integrated trackpad for controlling an onscreen pointer, which allows users to enhance their workflows.

It features USB-C pass-through charging and cantilevered hinges for smooth adjustments of the viewing angle up to 130 degrees, including a full-size keyboard with backlit keys and a scissor mechanism that delivers 1mm travel.

When Apple unveiled new iPad Pro models and the Magic Keyboard with trackpad, Logitech also introduced keyboard cases with trackpads designed for the 10.2-inch 7th-generation iPad and the 10.5-inch ‌iPad‌ Air. If there's any substance to the latest rumor, they could soon have some competition from Apple.

Article Link: Leaker Suggests iPad Pro Magic Keyboard Coming to More iPad Models

aknabi

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2011
That could be a good move in terms of milking the iPad "bottom-feeders" for some big bills that they missed out on from the iPad sale itself... though don't know what percentage of cost savers will roll with the magical price vs. a smart folio or 3rd party...

Hey, I wouldn't mind one for the mini... cute little "not-a-computer" (I have a Logitech for my old mini and makes for a handy, almost pocketable cafe email/small task machine)

Reactions: whatta

Yoms

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2016
Am I the only one here who thinks that the trackpad is a bit meh: small and no force touch?

unchecked

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2008
The question is when though. WWDC seems to be about the iMac. Sept/October is the iPhone event. Maybe a quiet refresh for the holiday season?

G5isAlive

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2003
Am I the only one here who thinks that the trackpad is a bit meh: small and no force touch?
Works fine for me... and at least on my 10 inch iPad there really isn't any room for it to be vertically taller, and if it was wider without taller that would be strange. so yeah. I accept design compromises in order to have a decent product. Curious if you actually use it much?

Royksöpp

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2013
And where exactly would the haptic engine fit? It's not going to happen unless you want it twice as thick. The engine will also take a hit on battery life. The backlight drains enough power as it is.

Yoms

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2016
And where exactly would the haptic engine fit? It's not going to happen unless you want it twice as thick. The engine will also take a hit on battery life. The backlight drains enough power as it is.
What was marketed by Apple at the time is that haptic feedback allowed for thinner trackpad than the click design, wasn't it?
- - Post merged: - -

Works fine for me... and at least on my 10 inch iPad there really isn't any room for it to be vertically taller, and if it was wider without taller that would be strange. so yeah. I accept design compromises in order to have a decent product. Curious if you actually use it much?
I don't have it. Still haven't done the switch from a MBP to an iPad Pro. If I were to do it, at the moment I would still prefer having a separate keyboard and trackpad. On the go, I wouldn't want to carry the MKB and while at my desktop I prefer the aforementioned solution. Was just curious though about other's opinion.

I may be mistaken, but if you place the keys further up and rework the mechanism to also set your iPad further back, that will definitely free some space to make a bigger trackpad. Well, like on the late Macbook 12 or current MBP 13.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I may be mistaken, but if you place the keys further up and rework the mechanism to also set your iPad further back, that will definitely free some space to make a bigger trackpad. Well, like on the late Macbook 12 or current MBP 13.
Not possible due to the height/tilt of the iPad when in place. You wouldn’t be able to comfortably access the number keys. The trackpad is as big as it can get without introducing a bigger iPad or making the case physically larger than the iPad and nobody wants that.

BlendedFrog

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2010
I know I'm in the minority here...but the only way I consider the magic keyboard is if it collapsed on itself so I could use the iPad in portrait mode without have to take it off.

Reactions: JagRunner

Yoms

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2016
Not possible due to the height/tilt of the iPad when in place. You wouldn’t be able to comfortably access the number keys. The trackpad is as big as it can get without introducing a bigger iPad or making the case physically larger than the iPad and nobody wants that.
I think you definitely can. That's what I mean by pushing the iPad further back so that you can access the number keys.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
The current one is seriously overpriced for what it is, imho.
It’s definitely a tough sale, especially when you can get a more capable Macbook Air for cheaper compared to the 12.9 iPP + MK.

I appreciate how well engineered the thing is - looks very stout, but that’s basically what you’re paying for. They have to make back their R&D. It’s an early adopter’s fee for sure. These things will be much cheaper in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.