Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

leaking MacBook Pro 2017

Steramko96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2019
UK
My macBook pro has leaked a clear liquid overnight. It is slightly thicker than water and has a chemical scent. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Apple are yet to offer an explanation.

Attachments

• Photos.jpg
    Photos.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 284

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
Run.

Oh, right, a helpful note. I would take this to Apple immediately. And complain about potential damages not only to the laptop but to your house / residence.

This is seriously concerning.

Comment

chscag

Contributor
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
A very dangerous situation. Take care:

Can lithium ion batteries leak?

A failing Li-ion begins to hiss, bulge and leak electrolyte. The electrolyte consists of lithium salt in an organic solvent (lithium hexafluorophosphate) and is highly flammable. ..

Comment

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
My macBook pro has leaked a clear liquid overnight. It is slightly thicker than water and has a chemical scent. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Apple are yet to offer an explanation.

How did it manage to leak like that? Is that the top of the lid? The picture ain’t clear at all...

Comment

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I really hope that's not the battery - but I have to be suspicious of this one.

It's highly unlikely that the battery would cause that and still work (hence Apple would have known it was the battery). Also - that looks like far more liquid than a MBP battery could hold. Simply the volume of liquid looks greater than the actual capacity of the battery.

And if this was indeed from a battery, in my experience, having dealt with batteries going bad, you would see some form of crystallisation.

Comment

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
I really hope that's not the battery - but I have to be suspicious of this one.

It's highly unlikely that the battery would cause that and still work (hence Apple would have known it was the battery). Also - that looks like far more liquid than a MBP battery could hold. Simply the volume of liquid looks greater than the actual capacity of the battery.

And if this was indeed from a battery, in my experience, having dealt with batteries going bad, you would see some form of crystallisation.

I don't think it's even a MacBook, whatever is on that picture has got nothing to do with a MacBook imo, as the panel does not resemble anything similar that is actually part of the MacBook.

PS: Looks like another troll

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.