Leap of faith: iPhone 5S or..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Uchiha1911, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Uchiha1911 macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

I haven't been active on this forum for quite a while, mainly because I haven't been using an iPhone for the last two years. I had an iPhone 3GS and an iPhone 4 before I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, but it broke down on me twice in 8 months. Haven't taken it in for the second repair because of the 3-4 weeks that it takes to repair this thing.

An opportunity came up last week to buy a new iPhone 5S (16GB, from a store) for €560, whereas the normal price is €700. I don't know if I should do it.

I like Android. I don't like Samsung customer service. I know Apple's customer service is far from perfect, but they've always been able to help me and/or set me up with a new device when a problem occured with my iPhone 4.

So.. should I take the leap of faith and bolt back to iOS?

2. murano macrumors member

Go for it. It will be a pleasant experience IMHO.

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'm a bit biased since every android phone I've tried had nearly had me pulling my hair out (the latest being the GS3) because of the crashes and lag, but I think you'd be happy with the switch.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Nexus 5 could be another alternative. I think iOS is great, but if I didn't have a huge family that relied on FaceTime and iMessage for communication, I'd be using Android.

5. mc3k macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 5S, iPhone 5, Galaxy Note 2, and Droid DNA. My Note and DNA are collecting dust. If you get the 5S, chances are that you'll be able to sell it for the same price you bought it if you don't like it.

6. yinz macrumors 6502a

If you take a leap of faith, I suggest you take it next year. From this forum, it seems iOS 7 is a love/hate thing. You either love or hate it. I'd give Jonny Ive one more year to refine it before you jump back into it.

I just don't want you to take the leap and then leap right back a few weeks later...

7. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

As a long time Android user that tried out the iPhone 5s for 8 weeks I would say stick to Android. The 5s hardware was great except for all the crashes (low memory logs in the history). And with iOS 7 it felt as if someone was choosing features for me. With almost any Android phone you can select/deselect the switches in the pull down menu. The pull up menu for iOS 7 is just there; it's not customizable. And the pull down menu also did not fell right. I just have so many nitpicks I'm just going to stop right there.
    But if your not into customizing or not a very heavy user the iPhone 5s is a nice choice. It just depends on your experience. I just got tired/bored too quickly with it. I had that feeling of not being satisfied and it was driving my wife crazy with all the complaining I was doing since she's been a iPhone user for 2 years. She just never paid attention because she's not a power user.

8. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I am also one to swap back a forth a lot. As much as I want to love the iphone I find myself wanting to back to android again. But they are both pretty good and it's all personal. If you want android try a different brand of phone.

9. Eau Rouge macrumors regular

20% off normal retail is a significant discount for a new, current iPhone. If you are willing to deal with the hassle of potentially selling it off if you don't like it, then I'd say go ahead and take the plunge. You won't lose much to depreciation if you change your mind.

10. Uchiha1911, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

Uchiha1911 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's so hard!

But, it's true that I (most likely) would be able to sell it for the same price I bought it for in a couple of months.

I'm running around with a Note 2 now, semi-broken, without an SD card. That gives me 16GB of storage.

I read on the forums that shooting HD video with the iPhone takes up a LOT of space. So that's another thing.. is 16GB actually sufficient? It's not that I'll be shooting full movies on the iPhone, but the ocassional photo or video shouldn't, in my opinion, be a problem.

Edit: OS-wise I don't really care. Some people say that Android isn't as user friendly, but I don't really care about it being user friendly. I use Windows and I use OS X, and OS X can be easier to use. I don't really care though, because I can work with both. I just want a phone that works, a phone that lasts, a phone that has superb build quality. I know the iPhone can offer me that.

I read on the forums that the 5S is being plagued by a loose power button? What's the news on that?

11. sandeeppathak macrumors newbie

I have been using android since android 1.5 whatever it was called I had my first device was samsung galaxy and htc magic or so (don't remember exactly) then to the hrs desire then galaxy 2 and then galaxy note then htc sensation then galaxy note 2 Motorola razr max then again went back to galaxy note 2 then htc on x plus then ascend mate and then Sony Xperia z ultra then Xperia z1 Nd then galaxy note 3 and then iPhone 5s 16 GB n finally 5s 64 gb

What I learnt was there was always some or the other built quality issue with my previous phone when I switched to iPhone all those were taken away with peace of mind except the power button rattle issue

If u don't want to keep on configuring ur phone n adjusting n want it to be like a solid tool to use whenever require without any hassle then please go for iPhone however if u like keep visiting xda forum n tweaking ur phone then better pick a nexus 5