Leap of faith!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Touchy, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Touchy macrumors regular

After not being able to play "protected AAC" music files on a previous iPT, I still ordered the new iPT yesterday. Both should be able to play these files per the specs. Hope that my trust is justified.
    Also, could someone check if their "protected AAC" files play on their iPT. I just can't believe that I would have this problem with another unit. Thanks for advice.

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Protected AAC files should be able to play on any device that you own and if you own the file (of course)... Not sure of your question.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

If they're not playing on your current iPod, you should contact tech support for their help in resolving the problem. I wouldn't throw good money after bad if I was you.

4. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

I concur. Contact Apple Support.

5. Touchy thread starter macrumors regular

My question is what was the problem that I had in not being able to play the protected AAC music files that were purchased from Apple iTunes, then put into playlists, then synched to the iPT. It was only the "protected AAC" that would not play on the iPT. I determined this by checking in my iTunes library all those that wouldn't play and they are listed as "protected AAC". Other music purchased from Apple iTunes as well as my CD's loaded into iTunes play just fine.
    So I really would like to have someone check if their protected files do play on their iPT. Thanks

6. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Yes, my songs do play on the iPod Touch. They are supposed to.

Have you contacted Apple Support? Always go there before even coming here. In my experience, they'll know the answers better than most of us.

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Do they play on your computer? That may be the root of the problem -- your computer may not be authorized to play those songs. You can authorize it by typing in your apple ID and password on iTunes. Then re-sync and they should work on your iPod. But just buying a new iPod won't solve your problem.

[edit: Yes, my iPod nano and my wife's iPod touch both play protected AAC songs just fine]

8. Touchy thread starter macrumors regular

Yes they play on my computer and with the "get info" is says "purchased by ........me". I will call Apple support after I get the new iPT and if it doesn't play the protected AAC files. That way I will have the unit ID number and all the information. BTW I returned the old iPT for a full refund about 8 days ago with the expectation of the new iPT's coming out. Thanks for checking on your systems for me. I appreciate the help.