Leap Second

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Doctor Q, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm ready for today's exciting leap second at midnight UTC, 4 hours from now. The clock will read 11:59:58, then 11:59:59, then 11:59:60, then 12:00:00, then 12:00:01, at least if you have a clock smart enough to know about leap seconds.

If you're on the U.S. West coast or points even further west, you'll probably still be at work. You have my sympathy for having to work an extra second today.

If you're further east and it's after work, be sure to spend your extra second doing something enjoyable. You've earned it!

The most recent leap second before this one was 3 years ago, on June 30, 2012.

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I read about this on the BBC (and in the Guardian) earlier today. Fascinating.

Great idea for a thread.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm hosting a leap second party tonight!

Not really.:p

4. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Too bad iPhones don't show the time with seconds on the lockscreen. However, you can see the time with seconds on the Clock app's icon. And if you enable Zoom in Settings -> General -> Accessibility, then you can zoom in so the Clock app's icon fills the screen. I'm going to watch it to see if it stops for one second with the second hand at the top at midnight UTC.

5. chown33 macrumors 604

I've already squandered my leap second, and will be working extra to make up for it.

And if I count the time to post this, I've almost certainly squandered my entire lifetime allotment of leap seconds.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, that is one themed party I would happily attend….

7. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Leap Second is Over

I watched my iPhone's Clock app icon, and it didn't stall for a second as I expected. Shame shame.

Shall I turn in my iPhone for a full refund because it's defective?

8. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

9. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

What's overtime? :p

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Back in prehistory, according to unreliable oral sources - subsequently transcribed - that I have consulted, I am informed that it used to be something occasionally found in parts of the public sector…...

11. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Well I feel so refreshed having had that extra sleep last night. Yessir! Ready for a new day! Come on, trouble, I'm ready! :D :p

....in other news who saw Jupiter and Venus in conjunction?

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

To the latter question, the answer is regretfully, no, alas, I didn't. Cloudy skies impeded unhindered viewing of that spectacle.

Re the elasticity of time, and means of measuring same, I am delighted to learn that you slept well and awoke refreshed. It is clear that more Leap Seconds are needed to enhance our quality of life, not fewer
    ………in the form of compressed time.

13. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

*Raises hand* Pretty amazing - never get tired of the heavens.

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I spent my leap second sleeping in - one extra glorious second of dreamy slumber...*sigh* it was wonderful.

15. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I read yesterday that the US and France for example want to get rid of it, as it potentially interferes with our gloriously advanced smart-tech (see, your iPhone is not alone...), but the UK and some opposes that heavily, as I guess scientists all over the world. Q, you have some more insight into that debate?

Getting rid would basically mean re-writing all the equations in astrolomy (different constants and whatnot) for example. But it was just an extremely brief text as is probably adequate to the matter at hand..

16. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's well known that leap seconds are a secret conspiracy, first revealed by columnist Charlie Robins in the Gainesville Sun in 1985.

His article says:

I believe the Bureau of Standards has been slipping [leap seconds] in on the following occasions:
    • Whenever we're seated in a dentist's chair, with two wads of cotton, three fingers and a drill stuffed in our mouth.
    • Anytime a TV announcer says "We'll return after this brief message from our sponsors."
    • When we walk into a crowded restaurant and the hostess takes our name and estimates that there'll be "about a 15-minute wait" for a table
    • During airline stopovers in Atlanta.
    • Whenever traffic lights are on red.
    • During commencement addresses, classroom lectures, political speeches, sales pitches and television editorials.
    • Between meals when we're on a diet.
    • While waiting for the next bus, the next elevator or the next payday to arrive.
    • When we're drying our clothes at the laundromat.
    His article is a masterpiece. Read the whole thing, especially the part about ceiling fans that may be slowing the Earth.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I didn't get to see them last night as it was cloudy. However I did see them for a couple of nights leading up to the conjunction.

18. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Ooh, I just learned something new today! I never knew about the "leap second." :)

19. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I didn't get to see it on the night of, but did see it preceding. I never get bored with astronomy either. :)

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Neither do I.

Actually, I love this sort of stuff, and love reading about it - and, if I am lucky enough - I love being able to see it, physically see it, too. To my mind, it cannot but give rise to a sense of wonder and awe.

21. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This might explain why I feel "that" much more refreshed this morning when I woke up!

:D

22. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I have a couple apps, I'm sure you've heard of them or used them yourself: Star Walk 2 and Solar Walk both from the same developer. Star Walk 2 is very cool because it overlays a night sky map through not he camera view so you can line up everything. To think the old seafarers used to know the skies like the back other hands... 0_o

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Thanks a lot for taking the time and trouble to post this information.

No, I haven't used them - are they for iPhones, or computers? And where does one go about laying hands on them?

It is overcast and raining here tonight, but I love that stuff when you can get a clear sky.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

Star Walk 2 is actually free today: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/star-walk-2-guide-to-night/id892279069

There are also a few other similar popular ones, like Star Chart, Sky Guide, SkyView, Star Rover, etc.

25. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Yup! Star Walk 2 is an awesome app! Both me and the wife have it and love it.