Leapord or Tiger? Less resources? Better for Pro Audio?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by skankis, Mar 11, 2009.

1. skankis macrumors newbie

I'm picking up two laptops next week and am wondering if there will be much of a performance difference between leapord and tiger.

One Laptop will be a G4 1.33ghz with 1gb of ram. I hope for this to run the midi tracks to control lights on stage and the backing audio tracks(roughly 15 audio files running at once).

The other will be a macbook pro 2.0ghz (core duo) with 2gb of ram. This will run the live VST synthesizers(no more than 2 at a time) through my sequencer(cubase or maybe a mac alternative)

I'm thinking it would be easier to just have leapord on both machines but I may need to squeeze everything I can get out of the G4. Is their a performance difference or does one OS take more resources?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

In your situation I would use Tiger on the G4. It has been out for years and is completely rock solid. You will need to use Leopard on the MacBook though.

3. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

Cromulent nailed it.

Put Tiger on your G4 (because, let's face it, it's 'aging'), and put Leopard on your MacBook. ;) Leopard benefits a lot from more RAM, so it would make sense for the 2GB notebook to take advantage of that.

It seems as though Leopard, while idling, uses a few more resources to keep the OS up and running with all those neat bells and whistles. Tiger was designed for lower-end machines such as your G4. :)