Learn from my mistake... don't overuse InsomniaX, Caffeine, Sleepless

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by starstruck, Sep 6, 2012.

1. starstruck macrumors newbie

I assume most people on here would already know this, but for anyone who uses those a lot....

I once decided to use my Macbook Pro (13" spring, 2010) as a morning alarm when my old BlackBerry's one alarm and my alarm clock weren't enough. I used InsomniaX and thought it was neat that I could control if my Mac went to sleep or not. I download a lot of movies and music so I figured the risk of leaving it on while taking it from room to room or upstairs and downstairs of apartments would outweigh the hassle of putting my Mac to sleep during my short walks. Redownloading my files would just be too annoying.

Over time, I got adjusted to having my Mac never sleep (I like to make my Mac suffer as much as I do from no sleep :p)... and would start carrying it to class and realizing that I had left it on. It would get pretty hot in its case and could hear the fans blasting at times.... so not good for the hardware. I could hear almost a grinding/clicking noise when I turned my laptop on and eventually realized the hard drive was probably dying. It was! The error was an "allocated sector count" and it lasted me until this August, when the LCD started have screwy lines through the sides and the battery needed servicing.

Moral of the story: don't be lazy, just don't bother with modifying your Mac's sleep.. especially if you are not a morning person and commute with your laptop. I did just get a replacement 15" fall 2011 MBP.. on which my ADD self will not be using any of those apps.

2. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

Awaken works great as an alarm clock, you can sleep your Mac without worrying about the alarm not going off; forcing your machine on all the time for that is crazy indeed!!! :p

http://embraceware.com/awaken/mac/en/

I thought caffeine at least didn't stop the machine from sleeping when the lid closed, only when it was open?

3. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Caffeine does let your mac sleep when the lid is closed, I swear by it. I don't think many people would do what the OP has done, you were clearly abusing the machine.

4. Fed macrumors 6502

I wouldn't dream of moving a laptop with the hard drive still spinning, never mind flinging it in a bag!

Thanks for sharing though. Good story :)

5. romel macrumors newbie

i have caffeine on my MBP 2012, and put my machine into sleep when i close the lid. it's a great app when used properly.

6. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

If you were going to prevent it from sleeping most of the time, why not just disable automatic sleep and enable it on the (apparently rare) occasion you want to allow it? Why clutter up your system with a 3rd-party app to allow you to quickly disable sleep if 90% of the time you're going to prevent sleep?