Learn how to write code in dreamweaver?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Dal123, May 31, 2009.

1. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

How does one learn to write Code in Dreamweaver.
    I am a complete novice; I thought there was a glossary in Dreamweaver which listed all the codes and gave a description next to them. Then of course there is the grammar to the code<>"; all that stuff.
    I'm trying to put in Google AJAX Feed API and I have no understanding of code whatsoever.
    How does one learn the basics of this new language?:eek:

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The W3School's web site is a great resource to quickly look up little items like what a tags is for and the attributes it has. Learning to code in DW is the same for any text editor when doing HTML, CSS, or JavaScript (or even PHP).

3. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Cheers Angelwatt, I'm bookmarking it now. Was hoping not to have to learn code but it seems it is absoloutely essential if you want a decent site.
    Regards

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

None of the major text editors have good tutorials- they all assume prior knowledge of the code's intricacies. The only thing DW does is highlight the various syntax and gives you that popup with suggested tags. I think it also closes HTML tags for you.

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I'll add another vote for W3Schools.com.

And to the OP, you are correct. A WYSIWYG editor is nice, but no replacement for actual knowledge of the code. I recommend getting familiar with XHTML and CSS at the bare minimum.

6. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

I hate peoples misconception of Dreamweaver and other similar WYSIWYG tools. They do not help you make websites and they also don't teach you how to code websites, if anything they take the knowledge away due to their automation.

If you want to know how to make websites you should just pick up some HTML/CSS books and work through them. You need nothing more than a simple text editor (i use notepad++ on windows for syntax highlighting only).

Look around the net for some good deals on books on HTML/CSS/Javascript and get your foot in the door. I wouldn't even open Dreamweaver or anything similar until you know some basics.

7. thunderweb macrumors 6502

thunderweb

^ I agree with you that you shouldn't use Dreamweaver until you know the basics but the best way to learn is to try it out. I use Dreamweaver and Textmate for all my coding.

W3Schools.com is the best place to learn to code I believe.

8. duncanapple macrumors 6502

The best way is to take a couple classes - nothing intense - I took some night classes at a university around here - 1 class in HTML, and 2 in CSS. Then another in dreamweaver. Each class wasnt long at all - these were like 2 nights a week for a couple weeks (so 4 nights per class). Each class was 3 hours long maybe?

It really is THE fastest way to learn - self taught can work, but takes a little longer, and imo its harder to know where to focus.

9. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Are we talking in England? If so how much were the classes. What did they teach you, you sound like you were pleased with the classes. Have you built your own site yet?
    Thanks for input.

10. jdesign macrumors member

yupe agree with others W3Schools.com is essential.

Beginner classes would be similar to what they have in w3schools. i suggest go through all the tutorial about xhtml and css there. won't take you more than 3 hours. :)

11. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

You could use something like Coda. It has code auto complete for multiple languages including html, css & php. It also has a FTP client built in. It doesn't automate the whole process (which IMO keeps you from learning) but will help you. It has a 14 day demo I believe.

12. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123