Learn iMovie 11 or Final Cut Pro X

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Beach Guy, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Beach Guy macrumors member

Each school year, I write a screenplay with my 4th grade class. We then shoot the video and I put everything together using Cyberlink Powerdirector. Well, I just bought a new iMac and started playing around with iMovie. Just wondering if I should skip using iMovie and go with the new version of Final Cut Pro. Will it be too challenging to learn the basics for Final Cut Pro for this year's project. Should I use iMovie this year and then Final Cut next year? Any advice would be Greatly appreciated! Thanks...

2. treestar macrumors 6502

I wanted to say to definitely learn FCP, but how can you afford to?

3. cgbier macrumors 6502a

If you are in a hurry, learn and use iMovie first. The step up to FCP is an easy one.
    On the other hand, I had a young lady interning with us this summer who had never done any video in her life (besides aiming her cell phone at something and post the result on Facebook). I used her as a guinea pig for FCP X. Took her ten minutes to get a grasp on the program, and was ready to go. She was able to cut together a 90 sec. commercial within a day. Well, it was a rather rough cut, with no color correction, but a great job for an absolute beginner.

4. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

As there is no demo, iMovie is a good option to test if one likes the FCP X ways.

5. Beach Guy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice. I think I'm gonna just jump right in and go with FCPX. I am very excited to begin learning the program so I can use it for this year's project. I absolutely love my new iMac, so i'm hoping all will go smoothly!

6. xizar macrumors regular

Here are what I believe to be some excellent tutorial videos for FCPX to get you started with how to do some things with it:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL066ED30D215B1EC9

I haven't checked to see if he's added more videos since the last time I built the list.

The author is a video student in the UK.

(Does it make sense to talk about "film" these days?)

7. Beach Guy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the great resource! I'm gonna download it tonight!!

8. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

There are two books on FCP X coming out in September, both part of the Apple professional training program, same series of books that has been there for years for earlier versions of FCP.

9. cgbier macrumors 6502a

There's also a great tutorial on izzyvideo.
    Ripple Training offers a great series (40 buck, but worth the money).
    You also can subscribe to Macbreak Studio. Plenty of tricks/tools for editing discussed there.
    There's an interesting approach to write a manual at dingdingmusic ($1.99 for the pdf, $14.99 for the Amazon hard copy).
    A very thorough tutorial on FCP X color grading (free)

...and of course countless tutorials on YouTube and Vimeo.

10. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Great links - and bookmarked!

PS: can you buy iMovie at the app store, or do you have to buy the whole iLive bundle?

11. cgbier macrumors 6502a

The iLife apps can be downloaded separately. iWeb and iDVD don't seem to exist in the App Store anymore though.