Learn in the speller

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by riklar, Mar 22, 2013.

1. riklar macrumors member

Hello,

I am looking to find ways how to add a correct spelled word into the user dictionary of the Speller of the OSX.
    I couldn't find the way, so I think that, may be, by adding the word manually to the user dictionary of the speller, I can overcome this difficulty.
    The problem is that I forgot where it is located.
    My request is to remind me this location, and may be showing me how to add correct words to the dictionary.

TIA

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Go into Pages or TextEdit, type in the word, right click on it and click "Add to Dictionary".

BTW: wrong forum for this post (should be under Apps or OS forum).

3. riklar thread starter macrumors member

One more try

Sorry for the misplaced of my question. I don't know how to transfer of the thread, so pardon me.
    You have answered a very good answer, but not to my query.
    I asked " how to add a correct spelled word into the user dictionary"

I hope you can assist me here in this question, and in my second question as to:
    Where is located the User Dictionary in the OSX?

TIA

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

I don't really get what you are asking, sorry.

5. riklar thread starter macrumors member

Sorry to be unclear. I will try again hoping to be clear.
    The speller dictionary doesn't know all the words, and sometime I wish to add a word, which is corrected spelled to the user dictionary of the speller. The problem is that a ward which is not recognized by the speller appears to be marked with the red underline. The speller proposes some words to replace, but these words are not those which are needed, so I wish to add the corrected word to the user dictionary. The Speller OSX doesn't permit me to do so.
    So my questions are:
    - Is there a way to bypass this difficulty and to teach the speller a word which it doesn't know.
    - Do you or anybody else, know where the User Dictionary of the speller is located in the OSX.

Hope that this time I am clearer.:)

6. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Say the word you want to add is correctly spelled "Parthinian (the word is Parthian but let us pretend). A red underline appears.You right click and it says a list of words.You click beneath that list"Add to Dictionary" and it is added to the speller in OSX. Now when you write Parthinian it is not underlined.

7. riklar thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the example you gave me. I'll try it.
    Now, for my second question: where is located the file User Dictionary of the speller?

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Forgive me if I'm not understanding your question, but it seems like you want to add a word that's correctly spelled, but not common (foreign, etc.) enough that the spell checker doesn't recognize it. Like the above poster said, open up text edits and input the word, it will indicate it's misspelled (I used "Kratos" since I've been playing GoW.. a lot recently). Right click on the word, then select "Learn spelling."

9. riklar thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your explanations.
    I am sure you have noticed my last question above which I reiterate here once again:
    Where is located the Folder User Dictionary in the speller of the OSX. Where means in which folder.

10. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

It's a database, not a folder. Just right-click and add the word to the 'speller'.

If you want to steal the dictionary of the 'speller', try aspell.

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Sorry, wasn't sure what you meant there, but, AFAIK, there's not "directory" in the sense that you're talking about. Maybe if you mucked around in the package contents of the dictionary app, but I doubt it.

12. riklar thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your answers.
    I found what I am looking for. It is in Home/Library/Spelling
    And I added manually the words I needed and now it works fine for me.