Learn iOS Programming Through Mentorship

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by bridgeyman, Jul 3, 2013.

1. bridgeyman macrumors member

I am working on a new iPad app, Understudy. (It isn't in the store yet.) The idea is that learning is most effective in one-on-one interactions. I am trying to find people interested in learning beginning iOS programming to try it out. It will be a fun experiment in learning. :)

We will be going through Stanford's course, Coding Together: Developing Apps for iPhone and iPad (Winter 2013). You will watch the materials independently, then meet up virtually with your mentor once a week to review the material. It is almost like piano lessons. Once you are about halfway through the material, you are assigned another student to mentor through the beginning of the course. This allows you to go through the material again at a deeper level.

The course has these prerequisites: C language and object-oriented programming experience. Our mentorship sessions will be done through Understudy, so you must also have an iPad.

If you are interested, PM me or reply here! This also applies to people who would like to review the material in the course as a mentor to someone else. Teaching is the best way to master a subject.

2. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Very interesting.

I would be interested in this. :cool:

3. hairstonb90 macrumors newbie

Hey, I am very interested in your app. I actually joined up just to let you know that lol. Please get in touch with me about it on here or at my email hairstonb90@gmail.com. Thanks in advance.

4. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Sounds very interesting. I would expect the partnerships to be a not so good idea, though... it seems like people will both learn and teach better by having multiple people that they interact with, instead of just one or two.

Multiple students is better than one and multiple teachers is better than one. Not all at once, mind you, but maybe mix them up on a regular basis.

5. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

6. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

7. bridgeyman thread starter macrumors member

This is a great idea. Having multiple mentors you can call on, or several peers at the same level would indeed be better. It kind of reminds me of the living groups and study groups in college. This is something we should definitely do as we get more users. :) Are you interested in mentoring on Understudy? My co-founder and I could help with projects or books you are trying to get through. Ken worked at Apple for 8 years on the Cocoa Frameworks team and was one of the creators of Passbook.