Learn Russian

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by radraz26, Jul 7, 2008.

1. radraz26 macrumors newbie

I really want to learn how to speak Russian, but because I have a mac it is hard for me to find a program to help me learn. I don't have Lepard (misspelled) so I can't use Boot Camp to run windows programs. I'm really tight on cash, so I need something that is either less than $10 or free like a torrent or free/shareware. I downloaded a PDF of Russian for Dummies, but I don't have 350+ pages of computer paper to print it, and the software is comes with runs on windows only. I know my specifications narrow things down a lot but please help me.
    Thanks
    -Ryan :eek:
    ps. If there is any way to get a program for french too let me know.

2. MasConejos macrumors regular

MasConejos

I tried learning russian froma book once; It didnt work very well. Russian is sufficiently complicated that I dont think that you'll have much luck either, on your $10 budget.

If you really want to learn russian, your best bet is to take classes froma university or elsewhere. Failing that you're going to need a bigger budget to put some money into real books and/or programs (I'm sorry, but I've never had much luck with the "For Dummies" series of books. They're always too simplistic. At best, your Dummies book can help you discover if you really want to persue learning russian).

I see advertisments on TV for Rosetta Stone Language software. Its a little pricey, but I think they have a free sample/trial you can try before commiting to buy it.

Hope this helps.

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

4. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

The US Government (State Department and other departments/agencies) uses Rosetta Stone.

I know someone who is now fluent in Spanish just from studying Rosetta Stone and then doing a 3-week study abroad in an immersion program. She could speak Spanish very well before going abroad, and is now completely fluent in it.

5. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

I too have heard *really* good things about Rosetta Stone. It's pretty pricey, but if you're really serious about learning a new language quick, it's the way to go. :)

6. MacBoy108 macrumors 6502

MacBoy108

Theres a nice podcast called "A Spoonful of Russian" I listen to this and it is very nice to learn simple russian. I think you should check it out.
    Dolce Vadania, well actually Baka would be more appropriate of a goodbye! :D

7. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

x2 on Rosetta Stone. It's native OSX application. I've used it for several languages and it really is the best language software out there - I was very impressed with it.

Russian really isn't that difficult. The grammar is easy and once you've learned the grammar rules, there aren't 10,000 exceptions like there are in English. Secondly, russian words are pronounced the same way their spelled - so you can read a sentence and pronounce all the words perfectly, even if you don't yet know the meaning!! Once you learn the Russian alphabet (which isn't very tough) you'll be good to go.

The asian languages, THOSE are difficult. Very difficult. But Russian, not so much, not any more so than French or Spanish.

8. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

While I do agree that Russian is not the most difficult language in the world, especially compared to Asian languages, its grammar is way harder than the English grammar. And do not get me started on those inflections... I am a native Russian speaker and English is my 2nd language (pretty close to being the first, though, so I am qualified, I think, to compare them side by side).

The only thing that is really hard about English is its huge lexicon: it may well be the language with the highest # of synonyms, such that it is often quite easy to stump even a well-versed native speaker.

To the thread starter: try Rosetta Stone ($$$) or conversing with a Russian-speaking friend (0 - $$$$$$$, depending on your luck - just take it easy on vodka :) ).

9. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Agreed rosetta stone is a great way to learn a new language, but to all those who suggested it did you not bother to read this???, $10 wouldn't buy the box let alone it's contents

10. radraz26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Rosetta Stone

Thanks for the Rosetta Stone info! I was actually looking for torrents of it but do you know how hard it is to find torrents for a Mac? Jesus CHrist it is difficult! but Neil321 is right, I am on a tight budget, and I am not too serious about it, that is why I don't want to spend much money. I just quit my job and I im pretty tight on cash right now. But thank for your help guys! Oh and if you are reading this after I posted it, please don't hesitate to give me more suggestions!

11. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

did you not look at that link i posted??? it's free

12. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Yes, did bother to read that, and decided to recommend a product that works vs. some $10 crap that doesn't work. I.e. he needs to change his budget or find a new hobby.

13. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

I do not think you will get much help here about torrents. Especially "Copy-Righted" material like "Rosetta Stone". Suggest looking for IPod type "PodCasts". I know there is some for Japanese and Italian. If that does not work, suggest buying a book which may fit your budget.....

Bill......:apple:

14. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

No need to get snotty,i understand what your saying but what's the point of recommending something he clearly cant afford??, it aint gonna make him feel better

15. craigdawg macrumors 6502

Rosetta Stone Online?

I sent away for, and tried the demo, but I'm a little put back by the price points for the software. Has anyone tried (or know of anyone who's tried) the online version? You pay for a subscription and can ostensibly crank through as much as possible before the subscription expires.

However, it took me a good 45 minutes to go through one of many of the lessons so knowing my procrastinatric (new word) nature, I probably should by the software.

16. codymac macrumors 6502

Look for a Russian/American cultural exchange group in your area (via the Russian Consulate that serves your area and/or Google). You'd be surprised what you can find for either very cheap or free. For example, there's a Japanese business/cultural exchange in my city that offers Japanese classes for a ridiculously low cost.

Я немного говорю по–русский.

Only a bit though as I'm almost entirely self-taught. Speaking a language is a different animal from literacy in a language and your needs may drive your choice of one or both.

17. Macishman macrumors newbie

Learn Russian

Although I can see that the original poster is probably long gone judging by the date, this thread came up for me while googling for Mac Russian apps. So I thought I would throw my two cents in. There are quite a lot of iPad/iPhone apps to learn Russian, especially for beginners. Some of the quality is amazing. Everything from help with the Cyrillic alphabet to children's stories that read aloud in Russian to free works of Pushkin in the original language (through exLibris).

Just type Russian in the App Store to check them out.